Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP Exhaust Pro's & Con's

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Exhaust Pro's & Con's

This is an overall synopsis of the "Stainless Steel T-409 Cat-Back Exhaust System by MBRP." Before I had purchased the exhaust, the web site gave an estimated installation time of 1 hour and a difficulty level moderate. So I thought there should be no reason why I can not install this at the house. Once it arrived I was more then excited to put this beast on. I pulled everything out to make sure all the parts were there. Sure enough they were except for the two dime size dents in the muffler. !! anyways. I roll under to take off the old exhaust follow the directions that came with it. It tells you to lube the rubber brackets. I cant stress it enough. These things were almost impossible to take off. You really have to drench the brackets in lube. Which really extended the time I thought it was going to take. Needless to say, the stock exhaust was off and the new one was in place. But the metal arm that goes into the rubber bracket closest to the converter wasn't positioned right. This caused the exhaust from the headers to the converter to sag a little bit. Just enough to make the pipe touch the skid plate. So a thick washer on the skid plate bolt did the trick and there was no more rattling. The last piece I had to put on was the exhaust tip. ( which is reversed thread) Just from taking one look at the weld job for the bolt and nut I knew it was going to brake when I cranked it down. Sure enough it did. I had to go and buy another U-clamp. I don't understand why they didn't use one in the first place like the rest of the clamps. So now in my mind everything is complete. I turned it on and it sounded great. Took a deep breath and marveled in my success and noticed a strong gas smell. I kept it running and slid back under and realized air was coming from the pipe joints. So I hit it with the impact gun but still no luck. I made my second trip to the store and picked up some sealant and that fixed everything. I also think this should come with the kit. I took it for a spin and didn't notice much power gains in the low RPM's but 4000 and up is were you could tell a difference. On the highway is were you can definitely feel the change. It cruises at 90 MPH with ease. I pushed it further to 105 and barely had to push the peddle. So watch your speed. All in all after the pumps during the install I am pleased with its performance. Highway driving is the only MPG difference I could notice.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

So overall, recommend?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I just wanted to give a realistic approach on what this system entails. It gives a meaty or more throaty sound to it. Similar to flow masters but not as loud. If that's what you are looking for.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Topher8668
Yes, I just wanted to give a realistic approach on what this system entails. It gives a meaty or more throaty sound to it. Similar to flow masters but not as loud. If that's what you are looking for.
Yeah, looking for a more aggressive sound, but not too aggressive where it just gets annoying for me and for other drivers.

I rarely drive in the 4000 RPM area, nor have I ever driven faster than 80 mph (guess you can call me a snail while driving ), so I'm not sure about the benefits that I'll get from it, since you said that you didn't notice much difference in the lower RPMs.

I don't know....I've been planning to buy this exhaust system for a while now, so I might just have to buy it even though there aren't much benefits for me. We'll see
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

But the metal arm that goes into the rubber bracket closest to the converter wasn't positioned right. This caused the exhaust from the headers to the converter to sag a little bit. Just enough to make the pipe touch the skid plate. So a thick washer on the skid plate bolt did the trick and there was no more rattling.
Can you send us a picture of this hanger that is not properly welded?

The last piece I had to put on was the exhaust tip. ( which is reversed thread) Just from taking one look at the weld job for the bolt and nut I knew it was going to brake when I cranked it down. Sure enough it did. I had to go and buy another U-clamp. I don't understand why they didn't use one in the first place like the rest of the clamps.
The nut and bolt on the tip are both standard threads...I could send you another bolt.

The band clamps are not used on any of our tips...2.5"-6" diameter gas or diesel.

So now in my mind everything is complete. I turned it on and it sounded great. Took a deep breath and marveled in my success and noticed a strong gas smell. I kept it running and slid back under and realized air was coming from the pipe joints. So I hit it with the impact gun but still no luck. I made my second trip to the store and picked up some sealant and that fixed everything. I also think this should come with the kit.
This kit is not welded together so you will feel a very small amount of air coming out at the joints. What you smelled was likely bender lubricant burning out of the system and off the outside of the pipe.

After a few hundred miles the air you feel coming out at the joints will seal itself up. The high temp liquid gasket is a quick fix if you want to take the extra step.

I took it for a spin and didn't notice much power gains in the low RPM's but 4000 and up is were you could tell a difference. On the highway is were you can definitely feel the change. It cruises at 90 MPH with ease. I pushed it further to 105 and barely had to push the peddle. So watch your speed. All in all after the pumps during the install I am pleased with its performance. Highway driving is the only MPG difference I could notice.

I'm glad to hear you can feel the power you have gained and like the sound. For future customers, feel free to contact our live tech department if you have any questions at all during the install.
Thanks Topher8668 for the feedback and I look forward to seeing pictures of both the finished install as well as the front pipe...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1

This kit is not welded together so you will feel a very small amount of air coming out at the joints. What you smelled was likely bender lubricant burning out of the system and off the outside of the pipe.

After a few hundred miles the air you feel coming out at the joints will seal itself up. The high temp liquid gasket is a quick fix if you want to take the extra step.
Sooo, if we do buy this system, then for a couple hundred of miles we'll be constantly smelling gas or bender lubricant? Is that really safe and something that typically happens? I know the alternative would be to do what Topher8668 did and seal it up himself, but if we are not willing to do that, is it manageable?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3
Sooo, if we do buy this system, then for a couple hundred of miles we'll be constantly smelling gas or bender lubricant? Is that really safe and something that typically happens? I know the alternative would be to do what Topher8668 did and seal it up himself, but if we are not willing to do that, is it manageable?
With one heat cycle of the motor...the lubricant will be gone. It takes all of 15 min for the exhaust to get hot and clean itself off. If the vehicle is moving, you would not even notice it.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

I too am very happy with my MBRP exhaust, I had to add a thicker washer to the skid plate but that was no big deal. I made a couple mistakes during the install and wasn't happy with the results, the guys at MBRP talked me through it and even sent me some extra clamps, great customer service and I would highly recommend them. I can't wait till I can afford their roof rack, in my opinion it is the best looking and toughest rack out there
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3

I've put probably 10 various cat back (magnaflow, borla, flowmaster, Invidia, TurboXS) systems on various vehicles (Camaros, Firebirds, WRXs, S2000, Liberty, Civic Si, etc). All of them have go through a period of burning off the various things that get left behind during manufacture. In fact many times you'll see smoke coming from the hood or under the vehicle. That combined with the acrid smell from the lube burning off freaks people out. But I can tell you it's absolutely normal.

In fact MBRP is probably one of the only exhaust systems I haven't installed yet. I think MBRP should send me one of their stainless versions so I can verify for everyone that it's normal.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I've put probably 10 various cat back (magnaflow, borla, flowmaster, Invidia, TurboXS) systems on various vehicles (Camaros, Firebirds, WRXs, S2000, Liberty, Civic Si, etc). All of them have go through a period of burning off the various things that get left behind during manufacture. In fact many times you'll see smoke coming from the hood or under the vehicle. That combined with the acrid smell from the lube burning off freaks people out. But I can tell you it's absolutely normal.

In fact MBRP is probably one of the only exhaust systems I haven't installed yet. I think MBRP should send me one of their stainless versions so I can verify for everyone that it's normal.
That made me smile haha! I would be happy to set you up. David at northridge can probably give you a great price as well.

We'd be happy to hear what you think of our system.

Steve

Quick Reply: MBRP Exhaust Pro's & Con's