Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP Exhaust, New to Wisconsin, and a Dilemma

Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Exhaust, New to Wisconsin, and a Dilemma

Hey folks,

I've been toying with the idea of buying the MBRP off-road exhaust for a long time now and I think I'm about ready to do it. I really hate my JKU being so "civilized" under throttle and I've always felt that a nice exhaust note was essential in a vehicle you care about. I have no reason to believe this isn't a simple install but I've got a bit of a problem so here goes.

I just moved to Wisconsin, on the east side, about 30 min south west of Milwaukee and I live in an apartment. I have a parking space and that's it. With how hot it's been I really don't fancy the idea of crawling around on blazing hot asphalt trying to pull the old exhaust and hang the new one, and I'd really like to have an impact wrench to tighten up the clamps when I'm done.

First off, has anyone tried installing one like this (no impact wrench, in a parking lot)?

Secondly, since I'm new to the area and I don't know too many folks around I figured I would turn here for some assistance. Are any of you folks from around here, and if so, would anyone be willing to host me in their garage for a few hours and possibly lend a hand installing this thing? All I'm looking for is someone with some jack stands and jack, an impact wrench, and a kind heart lol.

PM me or respond here if you'd be willing to help. I don't mind throwing a case of beer or a few bucks your way if you're willing and able to help me out.

Note: I haven't ordered anything yet, I'm waiting for the Quadratec rep to get me some price match info so I'm not in a huge hurry but I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance,

hotrod
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the mbrp off road exhaust on my jku a few months ago. On my back on the garage floor with no impact wrench. Just be sure to really tighten down the new clamps. I have had no issues.

Hardest part was getting the stick exhaust off. Took me like 2 hours.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off road exhaust is very easy to install with basic tools. I was able to do mine on a night in my driveway.

X2 on the PITA being removing the stock muffler. The rubber hangers are very tight. I had to take a couple breaks and reattack the removal of the old one a couple of times to stop from getting frustrated.

Good Luck.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I could never get the old exhaust off, I ended up paying Meineke to weld the new one on.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Joe from Quadratec just told me that my order was ready to be placed. I'm going to call today at lunch and get the ball rolling on the exhaust.

I'm hoping the old one doesn't give me too much trouble coming off. I've heard the rubber hangers and the clamps are tough spots. I'll make sure I have a dremel or hack saw ready for the clamp if it gives me a hard time.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't install the MBRP, I went with the Dynomax but the install is probably the same.
The biggest aid when I removed the stock exhaust was a stout pry bar. And lot's of WD-40.
You can tighten the clamps without any air tools, it will just take longer.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Order placed. And now we play the waiting game. Quadratec told me it would ship today and should get to me early next week.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Check out Hands On Garage - I haven't used it but other local Jeep guys love it. I'm in Franklin & have a home garage with the basics (floor jack, stands, compressor, etc.) so let me know if you need help.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Weiss
Check out Hands On Garage - I haven't used it but other local Jeep guys love it. I'm in Franklin & have a home garage with the basics (floor jack, stands, compressor, etc.) so let me know if you need help.
Awesome! Thanks for the offer. I'll give it a shot in the parking lot and see how it goes but I thank you for offering a backup plan.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Well, it's done!

2:30 hours of work and I'm the proud owner of a JKU with the MBRP exhaust.

2 of those hours were just getting the old system off. I screwed up and took care of the clamp by the y pipe before the one by the axle. That meant the whole thing came off in one piece, and it will not come out like that. Finally managed to flood the other joint with liquid wrench and get it off. The new kit went on as quickly as I could hang the pipes.

I don't think the clamps are quite tight enough yet. I'm going to ask someone from work who offered their garage if they will let me swing by tomorrow and buzz the clamps with an impact wrench.

As far as sound goes, it's loud, but that's to be expected for a new system, especially one that might not have super tight clamps. I think a little break-in and I'll be set. Rowing through the gears at low speed it's not overbearing. Once I hit highway speed it's amazing! At 55, in 6th you can barely tell it isn't stock. Windows down and you get a little more of a note from it but still extremely tame. Give it the beans and it crescendos a little. Blip the throttle and drop it into 3rd or 4th and boom, wonderful sound. Reminds me of some of the old time roadsters...

SOP dyno tells me I picked up some oomph in the mid to upper RPM band but more power was never the goal. It also got rid of that "over reving" feeling I used to get when I really got on it. The stock exhaust always made me feel like I wasn't getting off the throttle soon enough before pressing the clutch.

Overall, very pleased! The kit is very well put together and so far delivers exactly what I was expecting. I'll post an update after I get some pneumatic muscle on the clamps and let you know if it tamed it any.

Thanks for the encouragement and help.
Hopefully I'll hook up with some of you WI jeepers in the future. What's the point of buying an "off-road exhaust" if you don't go off road?

Quick Reply: MBRP Exhaust, New to Wisconsin, and a Dilemma