Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP Exhaust Issue

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Exhaust Issue

I have the MBRP S5502AL exhaust. I now also have an annoying rattle coming from where the crossover pipe passes just above the crossmember.

I have taken it to two exhaust places and got it fixed (temporarily), but it keeps coming back.

Has anybody else had this same problem? How did you fix it??

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Did you contact MBRP and let them know about the issue? Here the Forum Reps Link.. Hope it all works out for you.. keep us posted...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/members/mbrp-tech-1-17020/
Good call... I sent Steve a PM about my thread. Hopefully he'll respond soon!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to loosen the front pipe from the MBRP kit (closest to the engine) and turn it so the exhaust hanger has more tension on it before being tightened up? I seem to remember when I installed mine that I held up the front pipe with one hand while tightening the clamp to put all the tension on the front most hanger that the MBRP kit uses.

But it is also a good idea to contact them. Could just be an exhaust hanger that wasn't quite welded in the right spot from the factory.

Hope everything works out for you as I love my MBRP!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

In my second picture, you can see that there is about 1/8-1/4" space between the crossmember and the pipe.

Both times when I took it in to get it fixed, the pipe was touching the crossmember.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpm152
Have you tried to loosen the front pipe from the MBRP kit (closest to the engine) and turn it so the exhaust hanger has more tension on it before being tightened up? I seem to remember when I installed mine that I held up the front pipe with one hand while tightening the clamp to put all the tension on the front most hanger that the MBRP kit uses.

But it is also a good idea to contact them. Could just be an exhaust hanger that wasn't quite welded in the right spot from the factory.

Hope everything works out for you as I love my MBRP!
I can't twist it, because I had all of the downstream couplings welded.

I could probably try to bend the hanger, but I'll wait for Steve's advice.

When it doesn't rattle, I absolutely love this exhaust. The sound is amazing and there is no drone driving down the highway (I ditched a Flowmaster Super 44 for this reason).
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Freak

I have the offroad exhaust and I just started getting the rattle to, but its not all the time. I have it while accelerating at times then I can let off it then throttle again and it goes away Going to double check to make sure nothing is rubbing. Besides this little issue, this exhaust rocks.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by albrechtmj
I can't twist it, because I had all of the downstream couplings welded.

I could probably try to bend the hanger, but I'll wait for Steve's advice.

When it doesn't rattle, I absolutely love this exhaust. The sound is amazing and there is no drone driving down the highway (I ditched a Flowmaster Super 44 for this reason).
they recommend not welding them in case this happens... heat/cold.... it'll move
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had the same issue, turns out the pipe/flange that connects directly to the manifold had loosened slightly causing the pipe to drop and make contact on the crossmember. It wasnt loose enough to cause a exhaust leak but only enough to where the pipe qould drop to lay on the cross member. .I simply placed a spacer between the pipe and cross member and the pipe.... tighented the bolts on the manifold flange... removed the spacer and everything is good to go!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAM85
I have the offroad exhaust and I just started getting the rattle to, but its not all the time. I have it while accelerating at times then I can let off it then throttle again and it goes away Going to double check to make sure nothing is rubbing. Besides this little issue, this exhaust rocks.
Same here. It's intermittent.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
they recommend not welding them in case this happens... heat/cold.... it'll move
Well, what's done is done. Now I need a fix!

Quick Reply: MBRP Exhaust Issue