Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP Cat-back exhaust

Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Cat-back exhaust

Finally ready for some mods and i'm really liking the MBRP cat-back system. My stock muffler is an eyesore thats rusting to crap and I like how the MBRP sounds plus it comes with a lifetime warranty. If I get any performance or fuel milage gains then bonus, no big deal if I dont. I'm mainly interested in finding out if anyone has had any rust issues in areas where they use salt on the roads, any problems with their engine running lean etc. I know its gonna rust somewhat but i'm hoping not nearly as much as the stock has. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Exhaust for JK

I looked into exhausts recently for my 07 JK and settled on the Rancho Cat Back exhaust. I was surprised at how much less this exhaust was compared to the others and was told it was one of the nicer kits out there. I paid about $270 for my exhaust, love the way it sounds and Rancho is good quality. I would consider the Rancho exhaust in your research but don't live where there is snow/salt so can't comment on that. I did like the way the MBRP exhaust sounded as well. This is my input. I also think that an exhaust with an air intake provides some needed performance out of the 3.8L.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Adam: I have had the SS original location CAT back MBRP since May. I am a huge fan of MBRP. Quality is first rate, install was (almost) a breeze. I was goung to install the system myself but thanks to one of the MOPAR factory monkeys I couldn't get one of the hangers loose. Gave up after 30' and took it to a local muffler shop I have used in the past. The tech came out and said he couldn't loosen the one hangar nut could he torch it? 15's later I was leaving with my new exhaust installed. (Oh, I don't have a torch!)

Anyway I have also installed the MBRP light bar and MBRP rock rails. They look great, are tough and well made and the installs are a breeze!

If you gotta have a CAT back MBRP is one of the best. Don't expect 100 hp increase. I added mine because I couldn't stand the mini van engine sound and I got what I paid for. Steve at MBRP can set you right up and there are several other great vendors on this forum for MBRP products. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam3612,

I am running the MBRP SS system on my Unlimited. Great workmenship and fits perfect.

I did'nt install the system myself, MBRP installed it out at the JK Jam in Moab, Ut. this year. To date I have had no issues at all.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. I want the exhaust for mainly two reasons.. 1. My stock muffler looks like absolute crap because the cheap ass stainless steel that chrysler charges us a premium for has rusted out 2. I hate that my jeep sounds like a mini-van unless i'm pushing 3500 RPM. I know its not gonna be like bolting on a RIPP SC or anything and thats cool with me, this is strictly for appearance and sound. Does the MBRP muffler tuck in a little better than the stock muffler? I thought I read that it did and that would be sweet because i'm hoping to do some moderate wheeling in the near future. Rock rails are a possibility, the MBRP's are kinda pricey for me I might just pick up a set of used production rubi rails. Keep the input coming, I wanna hear more!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. I want the exhaust for mainly two reasons.. 1. My stock muffler looks like absolute crap because the cheap ass stainless steel that chrysler charges us a premium for has rusted out 2. I hate that my jeep sounds like a mini-van unless i'm pushing 3500 RPM. I know its not gonna be like bolting on a RIPP SC or anything and thats cool with me, this is strictly for appearance and sound. Does the MBRP muffler tuck in a little better than the stock muffler? I thought I read that it did and that would be sweet because i'm hoping to do some moderate wheeling in the near future. Rock rails are a possibility, the MBRP's are kinda pricey for me I might just pick up a set of used production rubi rails. Keep the input coming, I wanna hear more!

i have the the SS relocated cat back and love it, and yes it is out of the way

Last edited by hiddenprey; 09-05-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Yes, Adam, the MBRP muffler (in the stock location) is smaller and therefore leaves more room.

I have a set of "like new" used factory Rubi rails you can have.....just gotta come get 'em!

....but ya gotta admit the MBRP's rock!

Last edited by Fathom; 09-05-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Sorry Adam, just noticed you have an unlimited.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Thanks either way! I found a brand new set of production rubi rails off of an unlimited about 30 minutes from me for $200 CDN. Not bad considering they're like $350 US brand new from quadratec.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, it's kinda sad that the parts are worth less than what it would cost to ship them!

That's why I have five Rubi wheels and tires sittin in my basement!

Quick Reply: MBRP Cat-back exhaust