Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Maxxis Big Horns

Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis Big Horns

Does anyone have experience with these tires (35-12.50-17)? A buddy of mine has a set for sale and they're in pretty good shape, but I was wondering how they handle/wear/ride/loudness etc. Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have them in 33's. They have 20k miles and still have alot of tread left. They drive and handle great on/off road and are very good on wet roads as well. They are pretty loud, but not more than most MT's out there. I would buy them again, of course bigger next time!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the 315/75/16's, the 35 equizelant in a 16" rim.

They have been great so far. Haven't tried them in mud, but work really well on the trails around here. Good on snow, decent on ice, (for an aggressive tire), no problems balancing. There is a noticeable hum at speed, but not nearly as loud as some other MT's out there. Got about 8k on them in that pic, so they seem to be wearing fairly well. One note, though, is that those sipes are not very deep at all. If I end up keeping them instead of moving up to 37's, I will pay to have them re-siped.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I have the 315/75/16's, the 35 equizelant in a 16" rim.

They have been great so far. Haven't tried them in mud, but work really well on the trails around here. Good on snow, decent on ice, (for an aggressive tire), no problems balancing. There is a noticeable hum at speed, but not nearly as loud as some other MT's out there. Got about 8k on them in that pic, so they seem to be wearing fairly well. One note, though, is that those sipes are not very deep at all. If I end up keeping them instead of moving up to 37's, I will pay to have them re-siped.
Since I'm no tire expert, what is Sipe on a tire??
Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got them. A little loud but not bad. Wear is amazing.........20K miles on them and they still look new. they work very well offroad. None of them balanced particularly well........4 are useable but the fifth takes 20 oz. of weight so it's the spare. They SUCK on packed snow or ice. Minimal sipes.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibum
I've got them. A little loud but not bad. Wear is amazing.........20K miles on them and they still look new. they work very well offroad. None of them balanced particularly well........4 are useable but the fifth takes 20 oz. of weight so it's the spare. They SUCK on packed snow or ice. No sipes.
What is sipe?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by srunyon
What is sipe?
Look at the picture above. The sipes are the small cuts in the tread block.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibum
Look at the picture above. The sipes are the small cuts in the tread block.
gotcha thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Siping helps with winter traction by breaking up the big lugs and providing more 'edges' for gripping the road surface. They are also stud-able, which may be a plus. (the small holes at the outside edges of the outer tread blocks)

Don't expect AT or dedicated winter tire traction out of them, but they are not bad for a MT.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

I am looking into this tire for 35s as one of my options. Heard nothing but good things about them!

Quick Reply: Maxxis Big Horns