Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

maximum weight for stock tire carrier and gate?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default maximum weight for stock tire carrier and gate?

What is the max weight that is considered safe and fine to carry on the stock tailgate?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno I'm running 98 lbs of a Wheel Tire combo plus 15 lbs of Water and Gas on my RotoPaX. For a month no problems even went grocery shopping, Picked the kids up from school with it so the door has been opening and closing a lot this month.

I thought I was hearing banging from it but it ended up being my snach-block bouncing around hitting my other tools in the cargo tray.

Now its quiet I hope it holds up or I'll just open my wallet and get a TF Hinged kit
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a Pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Side back After.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	437776   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK-TJ.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	437777  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta do a search on it........I believe the owners manual stated in that topic about 90lbs.

I tried looking up the other topic on it in the "search" but need experienced help.........
Old 03-24-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

For my 2012, page 495 of the manual says 50 lbs. Silly since the stock Rubicon wheel/tire combo is over 70 lbs if I remember.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manual for my 07 X states max load of 50 lbs. Odd though because Rubi wheel/tire weighs 75 lbs. I carried Nitto 33's for a yr with my OE carrier, worked fine for a few months. As time went by, the hinges began to wear bad to the point my gate would clunk upand down over the littlest bumps. The idea being, if you do much offroad, the OE carrier will carry some good weight, but only for a limited time. A stronger carrier will be needed down the road.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
The manual for my 07 X states max load of 50 lbs. Odd though because Rubi wheel/tire weighs 75 lbs. I carried Nitto 33's for a yr with my OE carrier, worked fine for a few months. As time went by, the hinges began to wear bad to the point my gate would clunk upand down over the littlest bumps. The idea being, if you do much offroad, the OE carrier will carry some good weight, but only for a limited time. A stronger carrier will be needed down the road.
Ok. Teraflex it is. IM adding the vector rack for carrying water or gas, my antenna, reverse lights, plus a 33. Also adding a high lift mount back.there too. Gonna add the tf hinge mount and keep the stock carrier.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack

Ok. Teraflex it is. IM adding the vector rack for carrying water or gas, my antenna, reverse lights, plus a 33. Also adding a high lift mount back.there too. Gonna add the tf hinge mount and keep the stock carrier.
No first hand experience but I've read of a few folks having their teraflex carriers break on them. Do your homework first and make sure it will suit your needs.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf

No first hand experience but I've read of a few folks having their teraflex carriers break on them. Do your homework first and make sure it will suit your needs.
A few? I only know of the one that was posted on projectjk fb page. Which other ones are you referring to?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tlminh
A few? I only know of the one that was posted on projectjk fb page. Which other ones are you referring to?
That's the only one I've heard of as well. Seems to be a very rare issue. Last I heard, TeraFlex has since added another gusset on the under side of the carrier. These are well worth the cost

Quick Reply: maximum weight for stock tire carrier and gate?