Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Max tire size with out a lift.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max tire size with out a lift.

I recently purchased my first car. a Yellow Rubicon Unlimited and i love it. But the tires just look well... stupid. My dad does not want me to lift it because of my mothers fear of me flipping. So my question is what is the max size tire that you can go with out a lift?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use the search fuction

Originally Posted by hcolew
I recently purchased my first car. a Yellow Rubicon Unlimited and i love it. But the tires just look well... stupid. My dad does not want me to lift it because of my mothers fear of me flipping. So my question is what is the max size tire that you can go with out a lift?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to The forum. You Can tell your parents that a JK is much more stable than the older model Jeeps.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

I did the same research about 6 months ago. 285-70-17 is a good size and I have been running mine without any suspension modifications. They are ultimately 33" x 11.3" tires. You will need an aftermarket set of wheels though with 4.5" backspacing or less so that you don't have rubbing issues or just get some wheel spacers to push them out a little if you are using stock wheels and that will keep you from rubbing as well. I got 17x9 Dick Cepek 2 wheels. I don't have any rubbing or anything and it looks really good. Below are some pictures of this set up. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's. Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00625.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	415011Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00624.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	415012Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00622.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	415013
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the forum by the way. Enjoy the new Jeep! They are a lot of fun and the mods become addicting once you get started with them
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wanna say you could prob get a 35" tire on there stock but there will deff be rubbing if your gunna off road and flex ect. Tell your parents not to worry the more shit you put on it the slower it's gunna go making it less likely for you to flip...welcome to the forum good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have at least 30,000 miles of life on the tires so keep them. Just get quality 1.5" wheel spacers that will move your wheels outboard. Spidertrax makes a good spacer, there are others. This will increase your track doing two things. First, your new rig (not a car) will look better; and second, it will feel stable going around turns. Stay in school, get a degree, land a good job, sink all that money in your rig. Have fun, and don't forget to wave.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome from Cary, NC
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I say just convince her that you only want a small lift which will still be safe. Its all in how you drive it
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Technically you could go as big as 40's, or 42's. but I don't think you wanna do that.

In all seriousness, I would go with 33's with stock uncut fenders, or 35's with flats. And 37's with some MC flares. Also, if you have an auto you are probably going to want to regear if you move up to 35's.

Quick Reply: Max tire size with out a lift.