Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Max size tire/wheel combo without spacers or lift?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max size tire/wheel combo without spacers or lift?

After installing my TOYO Open Country M/Ts - 275/70/18 (on the stock Sahara wheels) the lugs were rubbing against the suspension when moving and turning lock to lock. As a result I installed a set of Spidertrax wheel spacers. The wheel spacers are supposed to be used for off-road only, (found this out after I received them). For the most part the "safety" of the wheel spacers don't even cross my mind, but occasionally when driving 65-70 mph down the freeway, it does cross my mind. I also wonder if something were to happen and I was hurt or hurt someone else, would these spacers give ammunition to the insurance companies to void any damage or injury coverage. OK... rambling here. Now for my question:

I'm planning on getting a 2012 JK next year when the V6 is released. Knowing that lifting can/will void the suspension warranty (WOL's sticky post)... can anyone tell me the best combination of tires/wheels (largest) without spacing or lifting?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartacus_33
After installing my TOYO Open Country M/Ts - 275/70/18 (on the stock Sahara wheels) the lugs were rubbing against the suspension when moving and turning lock to lock. As a result I installed a set of Spidertrax wheel spacers. The wheel spacers are supposed to be used for off-road only, (found this out after I received them). For the most part the "safety" of the wheel spacers don't even cross my mind, but occasionally when driving 65-70 mph down the freeway, it does cross my mind. I also wonder if something were to happen and I was hurt or hurt someone else, would these spacers give ammunition to the insurance companies to void any damage or injury coverage. OK... rambling here. Now for my question:

I'm planning on getting a 2012 JK next year when the V6 is released. Knowing that lifting can/will void the suspension warranty (WOL's sticky post)... can anyone tell me the best combination of tires/wheels (largest) without spacing or lifting?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
I ran wheels spacers for two years at all speeds..on & off-road.. without issue.. You do want to recheck the torque on them after you have had them on for at least 500 miles..
As far as insurance companies.. I have never heard of them making spacers an issue.. but; Imay be way off.. only speaking from my experiance
Oh I DO check the torque, actually each time I rotate the tires. As expected, they have never loosened. The place where I bought the tires provide FREE rotation, but when I brought it back for rotation the first time they wouldn't touch it because of the spacers. I talked with the manager and now each time I take it in for rotation, I bring my torque wrench. After they have the wheels off... I go out and check the torque (they still don't want to touch them) ... then they put the wheels back on. I have to go through the hassle of convincing them (each time) that I have a thumbs up from the manager for them to rotate the spaced out wheels.

I would just prefer to avoid the spacers and a lift, that's why I made this post.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Jep Thng... I saw that part of the forum... but normally the answers to my questions are never found in an FAQ, so I didn't bother looking there. I do see the Jeep recommended MAX size there and where many have exceeded that size with little to no rubbing.

Actually the tires I have are probably tall enough to give the Jeep an aggressive look. Perhaps I'll go with similar tires, but with a new set of "back spaced" wheels? Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before I put the lift on my Sahara Unlimited, I installed General AT2s 33x12.5 on Dick Cepek 17x9 DC2s (could not tell you the exact backspacing) and had no rub up, down, left or right. As noted above, a properly backspaced after market wheel negates the need for the spacers. However, something I never came across before on any of the multiple vehicles with countless wheel mount & dismounts (since I do rotations in my own home garage) was a wobbling. To abbreviate here, skipping how we found it, those thin little washers on the wheel studs which hold the rotors on, well I was missing 1 or 2 on every wheel. The aftermarket wheel I have does not have a gap around the stud hole on the back of the wheel to accommodate for the thickness of the washer. Just missing those threw the wheel mount off enough to cause a wobble. We pulled all the washers off and perfect. No more wobble or steering wheel vibration! Something soooo simple and I have never come across it before.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Search the site for the thread "finding the truth" I'd post the link but I'm on my phone right now. With a little bit of work you can fit 35s w/o lifting. That's my plan.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rusman161
Search the site for the thread "finding the truth" I'd post the link but I'm on my phone right now. With a little bit of work you can fit 35s w/o lifting. That's my plan.
Couldn't locate the thread. I would be interested to read it if you find the link. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Max size tire/wheel combo without spacers or lift?