Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Max lift on 2011 JKU

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max lift on 2011 JKU

I know I have seen this on the forum before but I can't find it for the life of me. How much lift can I put on my 2011 jku with a standard transmission before I have to start worrying about my front driveshaft. I don't offload regularly but when I do, I do disconnect the sway bar.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

2011, no issues. 2012, issues.

You can go up to 4" before driveshafts start becoming an "issue", mainly due to the extreme angle they will take when you disconnect off road and they will blow out the self greasing seal and eventually fail.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are there any issues without disconnecting besides the angle of the shaft. The exhaust spacer I see quite often?? Is that for disconnecting the bar too??
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IKE2011
Are there any issues without disconnecting besides the angle of the shaft. The exhaust spacer I see quite often?? Is that for disconnecting the bar too??
If you have a 2011 you don't need an exhaust spacer, you have the 3.8L, the 3.6L engine has the different exhaust which needs the spacer when lifted. If you lift it 4" and you disconnect you will have to be careful but you should be alright, but based on everything you are asking, 1: you are trolling, 2: you probably don't need to disconnect, 3: you need to read this entire forum before going off road or starting your jeep.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol. Funny guy. I have been off reading since I was 12. I have owned a jk for 3 months. Don't insult your fellow jk ers because they ask tech questions. I will be 39 this month. Because you have been around the jk longer don' t let your ego get away from you. You started at day one, once too.
Plus I have the job of cyphering thru the "hard cord replace every part to do it right" guys with the vendors and marketers who sell mods like the exhaust spacers and say they are a must for any lift, any JK. So there is a lot of info.to sift thru.

Last edited by IKE2011; 01-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol. Funny guy. I have been off reading since I was 12. I have owned a jk for 3 months. Don't insult your fellow jk ers because they ask tech questions. I will be 39 this month. Because you have been around the jk longer don' t let your ego get away from you. You started at day one, once too.
Plus I have the job of cyphering thru the "hard cord replace every part to do it right" guys with the vendors and marketers who sell mods like the exhaust spacers and say they are a must for any lift, any JK. So there is a lot of info.to sift thru.

Just giving you a hard time. The spacers are only for the redesigned 2012 3.6L engine and their new exhaust routing. 2007-11, don't have to worry about it. Thank god, one less thing to buy.

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney
Isn't the trolling rule only referring to when you talk negatively about someone's for sale ad price?
I use "trolling" as a noun, an adjective, a verb and an adverb. In this case I was referring to someone who might be asking questions that they might know the answer to, just to be a PITA.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by zfortna
I know I have seen this on the forum before but I can't find it for the life of me.
There is some info in the Modified Faq's, stickied right at the top of this modified area. Just remember to think of them as guidelines and not hard fact that will work for everyone in every situation.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 PM
JK Newbie

Off reading? Or do you mean Off Roading?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

See I learned something today. I thought "Trolling" was driving your Jeep slow through the river. LOL. This forum is great with so much info. I prob. won't ever disconnect, so I am not worried about over flexing. I know an inch is a big difference when it comes to lifting. But when you consider at 4 inches there are necessary mods that need performed, I would think at 3.5 inches they should be performed also? Seems like too fine of a line for me. I plan on a 2.5 BB and new shocks with 34 or 35s.

I have also read that 35 and up tires are too big and heavy for the stock axles, and will eventually fatigue and break your drive train. On the latter there was a thread on people pulling vehicles out of ditches in the snow, and they had 35 and up tires.. Then there are JKers pulling some big ole boats and trailers with the same Jeeps. Just a lot of perspectives out there.

Thanks for the info.

You reminded of an old joke. Kids would ask how to make their 300 EX run like a Banshee. The joke was :unscrew your gas cap, roll under a Banshee and screw the gas cap back on.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jester116th
Off reading? Or do you mean Off Roading?
Well I guess both would apply!! The mac auto fill in is a PITA sometimes. lol

Quick Reply: Max lift on 2011 JKU