Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mastercraft Courser MXT 37 12.5 17 - Sidewall Strength/Chunking

Old 08-31-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
We camped two nights and took 3 days we got a late start the first day but it's a trail you need to take 3 days. Trees are freaking close together and if you let your concentration lapse you will be in trouble as far as hard tips go. We were both in 4 doors with hard tops. It would have been too dusty to do topless. No body or top damage but probably just lucky as roots were slippery and often off camber so tops would come close when jeep would flop back after slipping off roots. Rocks in places come close to your doors but never had an issue. We both were glad we had LoD Rock sliders as they more than paid for them selves.
Great Info, that helps a ton! We have a 3 day trip planned also, with a heavier middle day to get off earlier the last day.

Were leaving the trailhead @ 7am on Saturday morning and running to camp @ Thompson Lake, roughly 10 miles in, where did you camp the first night?
We hope to be there by 3pm.

Sunday we leave camp at 6am traveling 15 miles to Mallard Lake, where we will camp, we hope to be there by 6pm.

Monday we leave camp at 7am and hope to travel the last 5 miles to pavement by noon at worst? Was your schedule similar? Does this sound realistic?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Ershim lake and Thompson lake was our two camp spots. we did pretty long days and did not dilly Daly around. I did most of the trail without a spotter so that took longer. We carried extra gas but ultimately did not need it. We did north to south which is a bit different than south to north.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

The Coursers held up admirably through the 33 Miles of the Dusy Ershim Trail! Thompson Hill was tough with loose rock and large boulders covered in this awful slippery silt. Aired down to 12psi, no chunking and no cuts, I was getting about the same traction as the guys with KM2s, Cooper STTs & Toyo MTs.

I burped one due to a bad line/ bad spotting, but only lost about 1psi and no damage to the tire. These tires run far smoother and straighter than my MTRs did even at 75mph on the freeway in a lifted 2 door. Ill post up some pics if anyone wants to see the trail.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

You get your money's worth of rocks,trees and dust don't you lol. I never left any paint but it is evident a lot of people have.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

I honestly think that every tree on the trail had been hit and hit often. My 2 door was able to miss everything and I ran my hard top. The other 4 Jeeps were topless 4 Doors and tagged quite a few trees. Wow did they eat some dust too... The dust was unbelievable, so fine and silty it never seems to settle, the slightest movement would stir it up! Because of the length of the trail and having to go up Thompson Hill, I would say this trail is easily as hard as the Rubicon if not a little tougher.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I honestly think that every tree on the trail had been hit and hit often. My 2 door was able to miss everything and I ran my hard top. The other 4 Jeeps were topless 4 Doors and tagged quite a few trees. Wow did they eat some dust too... The dust was unbelievable, so fine and silty it never seems to settle, the slightest movement would stir it up! Because of the length of the trail and having to go up Thompson Hill, I would say this trail is easily as hard as the Rubicon if not a little tougher.
I told you the dusty ershim is a better name. Just sitting the dust would come rolling in lol. I think it's tougher myself not only because it's longer but just never a minute to let your mind wander, lest you hit a tree. On the rubicon I never felt the need for 37's on the dusy several places I was regretting not going with 37's. I have a stubby front but my buddy has an aev bumper and he tagged several trees lol. On the rubicon I had a good spotter on the dusy I didn't so that made it seem tougher too. I'd do the rubicon again but probably not the dusy as not as scenic and too dusty. The lakes were not conducive to swimming to get cleaned up like the rubicon either.

Quick Reply: Mastercraft Courser MXT 37 12.5 17 - Sidewall Strength/Chunking