Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Manual trans and programmer?

Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual trans and programmer?

Is running a programmer with a manual transmission worth it? I'm not quite sure how programmers add HP and has mileage other than changing the shift points of the transmission, which in a manual would be obsolete. Anybody have any input here?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beezler11
Is running a programmer with a manual transmission worth it? I'm not quite sure how programmers add HP and has mileage other than changing the shift points of the transmission, which in a manual would be obsolete. Anybody have any input here?
Overall they make the vehicle more efficient and give you control over more. I'll be doing one on mine, as I have with every other vehicle I've owned.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

'Programmers' will let you program the new gear ratio and tire size to get your speedo/odo and auto shift points correct again. They do nothing for hp/torque.

'Tuners' will have a few performance enhancing tunes that will slightly enhance the hp/torque. Opinions vary by quite a bit, so none of us can say what your results will be. (I was not impressed with any of the tunes from the flashpaq, but tried the intune a few years later and actual felt some seat of the pants gains)

There are probably a thousand other threads to read through for more information, just search on the specific tuner name.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the flashpaq 3872 tuner on my 6 speed manual 2013 JKUR. i think it is more beneficial or automatics. however, it is very useful to doing things like correcting the speedometer, changing the TPMS settings, setting fog lights to run even when brights are turned on, you can use lockers in 4 HI, i could go on and on. there is also a throttle/pedal response. if you put this on the tune setting your jeep will become VERY aggressive. i have mine set on the lowest setting because i could not coast anymore without the jeep wanting to buck forward.

they also have preset tunes like there is one called crawl tune. i have no idea what it does though
Old 03-07-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dalearyous
i have the flashpaq 3872 tuner on my 6 speed manual 2013 JKUR. i think it is more beneficial or automatics. however, it is very useful to doing things like correcting the speedometer, changing the TPMS settings, setting fog lights to run even when brights are turned on, you can use lockers in 4 HI, i could go on and on. there is also a throttle/pedal response. if you put this on the tune setting your jeep will become VERY aggressive. i have mine set on the lowest setting because i could not coast anymore without the jeep wanting to buck forward. they also have preset tunes like there is one called crawl tune. i have no idea what it does though
And MPG gains or noticeable power gains? Going down the highway my mpg sucks
Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

by being able to change the pedal/throttle response you could potentially get better MPGs. i remember when it was stock after i did my first tune i felt like the Jeep woke up a bit. not much, but i noticed it. i think it is a great luxury item to have but by no means a necessity.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 2-door Rubi with a 6-speed. I added a lift and 35's and ran the stock 4:10 gears for about a year. I contemplated doing a tuner for more power, but more people recommended lower gears. So I changed to 4:56 gears, which brought my RPM's right back to stock numbers (the bigger tires lowers them). But I still wanted more, so I bought a Superchips Flashpaq 3470. It did wake it up, but mostly on the 93 octane setting. I played with the throttle sensitivity and absolutely hated it. Even on the lowest setting, the Jeep would jerk when I lightly applied the throttle after coasting - this made it horrible to drive in traffic. So now I run with the throttle set at the stock setting. What made a huge difference in throttle response was when I later bought a Sprint Booster. They're pricey, but I love absolutely love it. It's sooo smooth! I run it on the highest (most sensitive setting). So all together.....The combo of 4:56 gears, Flashpaq on 93 octane and the Sprint Booster has really helped. I would say the Flashpaq helped the least of the 3. This summer I'm adding a RIPP blower into the equation. Then I'm done.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
I have a 2013 2-door Rubi with a 6-speed. I added a lift and 35's and ran the stock 4:10 gears for about a year. I contemplated doing a tuner for more power, but more people recommended lower gears. So I changed to 4:56 gears, which brought my RPM's right back to stock numbers (the bigger tires lowers them). But I still wanted more, so I bought a Superchips Flashpaq 3470. It did wake it up, but mostly on the 93 octane setting. I played with the throttle sensitivity and absolutely hated it. Even on the lowest setting, the Jeep would jerk when I lightly applied the throttle after coasting - this made it horrible to drive in traffic. So now I run with the throttle set at the stock setting. What made a huge difference in throttle response was when I later bought a Sprint Booster. They're pricey, but I love absolutely love it. It's sooo smooth! I run it on the highest (most sensitive setting). So all together.....The combo of 4:56 gears, Flashpaq on 93 octane and the Sprint Booster has really helped. I would say the Flashpaq helped the least of the 3. This summer I'm adding a RIPP blower into the equation. Then I'm done.
not to hijack the thread, but have you ever run the crawl tune? any idea what it does?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dalearyous
not to hijack the thread, but have you ever run the crawl tune? any idea what it does?
I've run the crawl tune and it slows the throttle response for rock crawling. It is very noticeable and useful on technical trails. It might also de-tune the engine because it is not good for hill climbing.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

ah ok i already have the throttle response set to the lowest setting. does anyone just use 93 and the 93 tune for offroading trips and then 87 during normal DD?

Quick Reply: Manual trans and programmer?