Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Manual Trans Issues after 1" BL

Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Trans Issues after 1" BL

A few weeks ago I installed a PA 1" BL on my 2010 (stock) Unlimited Rubicon. Before I purchased and installed a got a lot of good info and feedback from members about their choices for BL, issues they had and what brands they liked. So going in I was aware of the shifter boot modification needed to run this BL on my JK.

The install went smoothly until I tried to put the shifter boot assembly back together. Initially, I ran the trans through the gear with both boots off to make sure I cleared the body. It did. Then I added the inner boot and made sure it ran through the full range without binding. It did again. Finally, I replaced the outer boot, after zip tieing it down and giving it the "innie" look. Then the problems started.

Gears 2,4,6,R would not fully engage. 2,4 and R would regularly pop out while driving and the gears would never fully mesh. I pulled the outer boot off a dozen times and re-positioned the zip tie up and down to no avail. I cut the inner boot again and again until it was basically gone, no change. I called PA and talked to their "lift guy" and he recommended all of the things I had already done. He told me I needed to cut the body out to stop the binding. I looked at the body, it was clearly not the issue. So at this point I was driving around holding the shifter to prevent the gears from popping out.

I was preparing to take the BL off and walk away from the $140 I paid for it when I found the rough Country Manual Shifter Adapter (http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_rc602.html). The adapter retails for $49.95, so I thought I would give it a try.

Installed the adapter today (and a new inner boot from the dealership) and everything works like stock. I was very happy that I didn't have to remove the BL. However, Rough Country sells a 1.25" BL lift with the adapter and rear bumper relocation brackets for $139.95.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but beware that buying the full kit upfront from Rough country might save you $50 in the long run. Hope I can help others avoid having the same problem.

Good Luck
Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well said.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

I had a similar issue with my 1" MORE. Some peoples issue with popping out of 2,4,6,r is solved with cutting. Mine was not. I didn't have to hold it, but big bumps would push it out of gear..

Needly to say that only lasted for a few months. I removed it. I didn't need the height for my tires anymore anyway
Old 03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good to know

Wow. Good to know. I posted up a thread asking about the issues people would have with a body lift and 6speed. I haven't pulled the trigger on a lift yet, but I'll definitely be leaning towards the RC lift now!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Some people have not had problems. its a very straight forward install. but there are just issues sometimes with the even gears!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

glad i read this..i am thinking about a body lift
Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ya know..

everyone here doesnt seem to give rough country enough credit. I personally think they put out decent products for what their prices are. The only issue I have ever had with them was with their shocks.. and it wasnt even because they were faulty.. they just gave me a really rough ride. 75% of the parts on my jeep are rough country.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Just to Clarify

I am neither promoting or slandering any of the brands posted above. I know that lots of people run the same setup as I am with minor to no modifications without any issues. Just another guy with a limited budget hoping that sharing his experience might help others.

I am very happy with the BL, just mad it cost me extra to make it work and didn't get the bumper brackets so I have a gap.

I'll just rip the bumper off on a rock and tell the wife I have to get the E1 I have been looking at and do the adjustment mod then.

But by all means exercise your 1st Amendment rights. It makes for good reading.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.....been running a PA 1" body lift on my 6 speed for over 25k miles, and I didn't do shit to the shifter, boot, or surrounding area. I've never had a single issue. Guess I got lucky
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
Hmm.....been running a PA 1" body lift on my 6 speed for over 25k miles, and I didn't do shit to the shifter, boot, or surrounding area. I've never had a single issue. Guess I got lucky
You must be doing something different

Quick Reply: Manual Trans Issues after 1" BL