Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Manual tranmission question.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual tranmission question.

Hi all new to the forums,

My question is and maybe someone can help me is, I have a 2007 wrangler with 160k miles, I recently had my clutch done and it works great and everything but I was wondering when you get your clutch done do they change the oil on the transmission also ? The other question is that I never change my transmission oil(bruh!) Is it to far gone to change the oil on it ? Sorry a newbie here thank you. Ops one last question, I never got it change also on the transfer case, can i still change the oil on the transfer case without any problem?
Old 09-16-2021, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If they had changed the transmission oil, you would have had a separate line item charge for the oil on your receipt, so look for that.
Assuming the answer is no, then of course you should change the oil in both your transmission and your transfer case. And you should look closely for any metal that settles to the bottom so you can get an idea of whether there's been major wear or not.
YouTube is your friend; search for how to do this on your year JK. Neither one is hard to do. In both cases, always loosen the fill nut before you drain because if you can't get the fill nut off and drain the oil, you'll be in a world of hurt trying to resolve the situation.
And if you haven't changed the oil in your differentials, you'd better get on that, too
The following users liked this post:
Lost In The High Desert (10-06-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 04:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Oof....160k miles and none of that done...that poor jeep . I change gear oil every 15k miles on mine but think normal interval is 30-40k miles. TC should have been every 60k miles and that manual tranny is somewhere in the 30-60k mile range I believe. For the transfer case, you're going to need a pump to get the fluid in the fill hole cuz you can't get a bottle up there to pour it in.

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
always loosen the fill nut before you drain because if you can't get the fill nut off and drain the oil, you'll be in a world of hurt trying to resolve the situation.
That is a pro tip right there
Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 424 Posts

And from my son's experience of severely reducing shift effort and, believe it or not, gearbox noise I would recommend Amsoil for use. Make sure you get the one for brass synchros. Ask the dealer which one. About 40% less $$ than the Mopar stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Lost In The High Desert (10-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Manual tranmission question.