Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Manifold Vacuum Gage

Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold Vacuum Gage

I am installing a vacuum gage and need to know a good location to tap into manifold vacuum.

Thanks for the help...
Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about a tee in the brake booster line?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by naplesrubicon
how about a tee in the brake booster line?
Only if one is an exceptional mechanic, loose your brakes and

There should be a plugged port on the intake manifold. It would give far better response. If there are several choose on furthest away from the intake port.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

i got it. there is a line going into the intake right on top. I just wasnt sure if it was a good source.

I agree though, I never tap in to the brake booster. Too risky.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

what r u puttin it in for??
here is a better idea put a s/c on it and use the boost/vac gauge
sorry about the brake line i wasnt thinkin but you wouldnt lose the brakes they would just get hard as hell and the engine would stall
Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

I use a vacuum gage to drive as efficiently as possible. The higher the pressure the better the mileage. Sometimes I wonder where the "sweet spot" is. On the freeway under 3,000 rpm or shift to 6th and go down to 2400 rpm. Seems to lug at the lower so I can use the vacuum gage to really know.

I have used them on most of my trucks, which I have used to tow heavy boats and trailers, etc.

I think this will be a better efficiency measurer than the computers that seem to not be that accurate anyway, and besides I don't have the 'puter.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be interested to see what you find... I often feel that 6th gear is too much, especially for the relatively low (60-65) highway speeds around here. That is, if you can get out of traffic long enough to maintain 60!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow thats neat i never heard or thought about that
do tell on the findings
also would temp/elevation have anything to do with that or would this test work anywhere
thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
I use a vacuum gage to drive as efficiently as possible. The higher the pressure the better the mileage. Sometimes I wonder where the "sweet spot" is. On the freeway under 3,000 rpm or shift to 6th and go down to 2400 rpm. Seems to lug at the lower so I can use the vacuum gage to really know.

I have used them on most of my trucks, which I have used to tow heavy boats and trailers, etc.

I think this will be a better efficiency measurer than the computers that seem to not be that accurate anyway, and besides I don't have the 'puter.
About 50% of the torque range is the place to start. On a short trip ~20 miles each way I did 3k one way 2.5K the other mileage jumped 1.5mpg easy.

If your gearing and tire sizes are in sync you should be able to shift each gear between the 2-2.5 mark and cruise around 2.4 or so. That with my gears is still over 65 if I remember correctly. I also use cruise control to eliminate my heavy foot.

I just did ~600 miles and got roughly between 17.5 and 18.2 at 80MPH 90% of the time.

Post your results and testing used. I'd be interested due to the PID Loop used by the computer to recalc driving styles. It will take repeating the same test three times or more to ensure that the computer is still not adjusting/recalculating.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by naplesrubicon
wow thats neat i never heard or thought about that
do tell on the findings
also would temp/elevation have anything to do with that or would this test work anywhere
thanks
Humidity, temp and altitude all play a part, as does fuel octane.

The test would work anywhere results vary by area factors.

Quick Reply: Manifold Vacuum Gage