Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Making sliders, frame or body mount?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making sliders, frame or body mount?

I am thinking of making my own sliders. It seems that the frame mounted would be easier to build but how do they compare to body mounted sliders?

I can see goods to both but would like whatever will be the strongest option in the long run. Frame mounted seems stronger but the looks of the body mounted are appealing.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

I know I am being impatient but anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

go frame for sure.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

mount them on the frame. Frame is more forgiving than the body. me
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I built my own about $75 in steel, I will try to post some pics in a little bit. I welded them to the frame I still need to brace them up and down , but they are holding up pretty well
Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't start an argument over which is stronger, but it'll be hard to make body mounted ones that look good and follow the body contours with the tools found in the average home garage.

I copied the ones made by Shrockworks way back when they were about the only ones on the market. I'm happy with them. One of the Shrockworks guys on here even thought the were theirs at first.

Here's a pic. Click on the link in my sig if you want to see more.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

This won't really be a home made job. My brother-in-law works at metal fabrication place. Pretty much if we can draw it in solidworks we can make it.

They don't have a laser but they do have various cnc machines. I am fond of the design of the Poison spyder type stuff but also very much like the shrockworks sliders.

Another good thing is they have a powder coater so I can have that done for cheaper than spray paint.

Any real advantages to one type over others.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

The clearance was my reasoning for going with body mount but then I realized that since the frame already hangs way down it may not really matter than much if the sliders are down a little too.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

We went with frame mounted sliders for mine. It was easier than having to follow the curved body lines on the JK and it's very strong. With proper design, clearance isn't really much of an issue. The drawback is that if I ever wanted to do a 1" body lift it would leave a gap.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I did a frame mount and mine are very strong. It is 1/4" steel 2x4 tube. The way you build the mount does make a huge difference. This was the design I used. It goes up the frame so unless my frame is going to just cave in this is going nowhere. Notice all the bracing built into the mounts. Yes, the frame is lower than my sliders and you can slide the Jeep on them any way you want without damaging the body. I have the step on there for my wife and friends. The ugly step has been known to keep a rock away though.

R&D work ... or should I say R&D fun!

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 04-14-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Making sliders, frame or body mount?