Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Major problem after tire rotation!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand the implications of throwing weights. But I believe that it would be more of a result of how the tire is used ( or abused ). And not necessarily related to size. So if we are rotating to promote tire longevity. Then this is an excelent reason why you should do rotations more frequently. A tire that has a problem may go unnoticed when mounted on the rear. And you can't address problems that you are unaware of.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna start with the track bar. Honestly I'm hoping thats the issue, seeing that I don't remember loosening it up when I installed the lift. I could handle tacking on a washer or two. How bad will this affect the alignment? Seeing that I need something to gauge whether or not the problems been fixed after I reinstall everything I take off....
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll clarify a bit.... By removing parts from the front end, how imminent is an alignment?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also check your caliper bolt to make sure they are tight, since you said you have this problem when you put your brakes on!

I had a Goodyear shop put new rotors on my Bronco when I first got it and they stripped a caliper bolt out and did not say anything. I found it missing a week later. I do not if wouild cause the dw, but would not hurt to check? .02
Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXFIREMAN
I'll clarify a bit.... By removing parts from the front end, how imminent is an alignment?
Error on the side of caution. Imminent.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Here's a little more history. Self installed RC 3.25 coil lift and 35's ordered from 4wd.com about 2 years ago. 4WD mounted and balanced them on Pro Comp steels. When I got them there was a noticeable amount of more weight on 2 of the 4, so I put them in the rear. No problems until 2 years later when I rotated them. I know I know! Here's the kicker.... Never had an alignment..... But it drove great it felt like it didn't need one!!! Tires were wearing fine and all! So, I know I need adjustments made such as tow etc on the front end. When Firestone balanced the tires after I rotated them they claimed they couldn't balance them, too many weights were needed. After they screwed up and left my rims weightless, they made another go at it. They admitted they couldn't get them perfect and didn't charge me. Could it be tires still??? It drove just fine before, but that front left tire was cupped pretty good, moved it to the rear and boom, an on and off shimmy. Boooooo! What really throws me off is the brakes setting off the problem. It only happens when I slow down, but a few turns of the steering wheel and it works itself out.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

I swear by Discount Tire. Been with them for 20 years and they've never done me wrong.

Also, are you sure you don't have any ball joint issues on your front end. I ask because another guy on here is running 37's and had such severe death wobble he couldn't go over 30 mph. The issues on his rig went to pot on our club trip to the beach this summer. We ended up trailering his rig down there. If memory serves, his ball joints were damaged and that was a major contributor to his situation. His username is Dutchboy101. He might be able to provide you with insight into the conditions of his rig. Hopefully that will help you isolate your problems. Tell him Hook-em sent you.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could it possibly be a bent C-yoke?

Also, does anyone in the Central TX area have any experience with Just Jeeps? They seem to be a pretty credible Jeep shop around here. I'm hoping I can drop my JK off and get a trustworthy diagnosis and a reasonable cost. This shimmy HAS to get fixed its driving me nuts and likely tearing up my Jeep!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had new rims put on and then had an undrivable jeep. Apparently my toe-in was off and after I put the new rims on and drove around, it managed to move 5/8 out of alignment. So my tire were like /----\
Getting all new ball joints and an alignment. Should do the trick!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

when I had this problem I took somebody's advice and switched the tires back (un-rotated them)and the problem was gone, which made me get the tires re-balanced and the problem was gone

Quick Reply: Major problem after tire rotation!!!