Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Major problem after tire rotation!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
ahhh...i'm going to try it out. thx bro!
Make sure that you use a proper rotation pattern. And go by that same pattern every time you do your rotation. I do my rotations at every oil change ( at home also ).
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

I rotate the tires myself on all my vehicles. Been doing it a long time. The only effects that I have noticed is "longer tire life".

Same here. Have more than one set and when exchanging them I simply rotate at the same time. Never had any problems.

There are two ways of balancing the tires, as far as I know. One is by itself (most common?) and another is assembled on the axis (not so common and I believe more suitable for high performance = speed). The second may create problems when rotating.

As an example, the set I am running now was mounted by Discount Tires and I simply took them home and mounted on my Jeep. No issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 11-16-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that you use a proper rotation pattern. And go by that same pattern every time you do your rotation. I do my rotations at every oil change ( at home also ).
yep, i changed my oil last week and was wondering about rotating tires but thought, naaa...i better not....but now, i'm for sure gonna try it out!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Do you do the "X" pattern?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

I rotate the tires myself on all my vehicles. Been doing it a long time. The only effects that I have noticed is "longer tire life".
same with me.. never had a issue... Ive been rotating my own tires for years ... the problem is not rotating your own tires.. it is just making sure they are balanced..
Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Here is the link to a sponsors website with the above item: http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?kw=Centramatic

I am curious as to how well the work.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
Do you do the "X" pattern?
I do a 5 tire rotation. I use this method to make sure that my spare is capable of being used as a running tire if necessary. With 4WD vehicles, and newer vehicles with TCS, you need to be careful mixing tires of different size. Even mixing a new tire with three wore out tires could cause a problem.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

I do a 5 tire rotation. I use this method to make sure that my spare is capable of being used as a running tire if necessary. With 4WD vehicles, and newer vehicles with TCS, you need to be careful mixing tires of different size. Even mixing a new tire with three wore out tires could cause a problem.
Sweet! I have a spare of equivalent size just different brand, just to limp off the trail or to the next service center if needed. So, I will be doing the 4 in the "X" pattern this time.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. Been doing it myself for years. Never had problem with needing to get them rebalanced.

Edit: I have always went front to back on same side. Always got good life out of tires.

Last edited by NativeMsSon; 11-16-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have stock tires it's not an issue. Like I said, I have 35s. If you're running 35s and up (not sure about 33s), you will most likely throw/lose multiple weights between rotations. This can then cause some nasty front end shaking/shimmy if you put one or two improperly balanced tires in the front.

At least be aware of it.

Quick Reply: Major problem after tire rotation!!!