Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Magnaflow Cat Back System

Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Cat Back System

I just spoke with tech support at Magnaflow. The cat back system will not be available until the middle of February.

No I can't decide if I want to wait or if I want to have something done, or if I want to go with another vendor.

My concerns,

Gibson-too high pitched
Flowmaster-too loud and/or not mandrel bent pipes at my local shop.
Borla-too high pitched and not available yet
Dynomax- sound???
Magnaflow Universal at local shop- not mandrel bent, not optimized for JK.

Does anyone have anything to add about any of these? Someone had ordered a Gibson- how did that turn out? Does anyone have any experience with Dynomax?

There are several other companies for the TJs, but I know most of them aren't available for the JK yet.

Maybe I should go with the Cold Air Intake first and just hold off till February. You'd think I would have gotten better at waiting since I've had so much practice, but it's only gotten worse.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default why wait

I am in the same situation. I was told by jeep service that a cat back is a waste of money because the stock pipes are heavy stainless and mandrel bent. I am looking for just a muffler. I think a short muffler will fit in line with the intermediate pipe and avoid the 90 degree bend in the stock position putting the exhaust tip on the left side. I am thinking Borla, I don't want loud.
Any other opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used a magna flow just to replace the stock muff and used all the stock pipe back to the back axle.at that point we had to custom make a little pipe.remember you need to keep some back pressure.look at 1badjk post and his dyno numbers.and as far as sound with the magna flow it's great.low tone and not to loud.also much better off the line.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have used Magnaflow cat-back systems on several of my past vehicles and I cannot speak highly enough of their quality and sound. You pay a little more for magnaflow, but I believe they are of higher quality, even over similarly prices systems.... I'll wait till Feb, gladly.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tolh13
I used a magna flow just to replace the stock muff and used all the stock pipe back to the back axle.at that point we had to custom make a little pipe.remember you need to keep some back pressure.look at 1badjk post and his dyno numbers.and as far as sound with the magna flow it's great.low tone and not to loud.also much better off the line.
Would you please throw up a few pictures and maybe some details on which muffler you used? Thanks!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

I dunno why everybody is freaking out about the non availability of prefab cat back systems. Just pick out a muffler you want and the position you want it under your jk and any decent local exhaust shop will do all the pipe work for you for a very small cost. So you basicly end up with a custom cat-back system with exactly what you want, instead of the way borla or magnaflow or whoever thinks should be on a jk. Here is a link to the pics of my exhaust work i had done. Its definatly an option. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-jk-growls-744/
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I went to one shop but they didn't seem too confidant, so I will still look around. However, you are the only person who hasn't recommended to me that I should get mandrel bent tubes. Maybe with two exhausts the losses are negated, or maybe I am being too particular. Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

the shop i went to had a pretty difficult time with it but all the work they do is performance exhaust. They dont do any muffler swaps on your grandpas lincoln and stuff like that. These guys were awesome and they bearly got the welds. There was a lot of coffee being drank that morning and lots of 4 letter words running rampant throughout the shop. They had everybody in there working on it. They were doing blind welds in a lot of spots and checking with mirrors. I couldnt be more happy with the job they did though. Everything was done for a total price of right at 500.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Would you please throw up a few pictures and maybe some details on which muffler you used? Thanks!
my camera is in the shop but i try get my sister in-laws and get some pic.and here is a repost of the details.

Had a magna flow 5" x 8x 24" Oval Offset/Center Satin Stainless Steel Universal Muffler put on in place of the stock one.had planed on doing what 1badjk did with a Magna Flow 6” x 18" under the driver side of the jeep but was talked out of by the tech.tech was worried about no heat shield and the closeness of the black box also he thought sound wise with the top off bigger was better.the install was his first on a jk and he took his time(2 hours) and made a jig for the next jk to come.the only real custom work was back of the axle the stock muff enters in the back and the magna flow on the side.the tip comes out just like stock but a little farther back and higher.the magne flow is much smaller then stock and sits up tighter to the jeep.the sound is nice(no drone).the very best part is its faster of the line(think 4.0 tj)and has more balls at 60 mph to pass.let you know in a week or so about mpg.the first tank is for fun driving with the new muff next tank i will drive the norm and check mpg.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default which shop

Can you please tell me the name of the shop where you had the work done.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat Back System