Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

M/T tire that is good in snow and rain ?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M/T tire that is good in snow and rain ?

Hey all,

I am planning on getting a lift and new wheels/tires in the spring. I am curious of the "lighter-weight" M/T tires out their which are decent in the snow and good in wet roads.

Snow isnt that big of an issue here in the lower-mainland as we dont get a whole in a year. But it rains year round' here and the roads more often then not are wet all the time!!!

Since my Jeep does more pavement pounding then trail pounding I need a good M/T tire that performs well in the rain and hopefully decent enough in the snow as well.

So far I was looking at Cooper STT's, Goodyear Duratrac's and Nitto Trail Grapplers.... except I cant seem to find how much the Nitto Trail Grapplers weigh... I already ruled out the Toyo M/T's as their just too heavy.

I also was reading about something called siping? does it work and is it worth it?

Sorry for the newb-ish 4x4 questions... new to the whole 4x4 world as I come from modifying muscle cars only up until now!

Thats all!! Any input and advice is appreciated....
Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay
Hey all,

I am planning on getting a lift and new wheels/tires in the spring. I am curious of the "lighter-weight" M/T tires out their which are decent in the snow and good in wet roads.

Snow isnt that big of an issue here in the lower-mainland as we dont get a whole in a year. But it rains year round' here and the roads more often then not are wet all the time!!!

Since my Jeep does more pavement pounding then trail pounding I need a good M/T tire that performs well in the rain and hopefully decent enough in the snow as well.

So far I was looking at Cooper STT's, Goodyear Duratrac's and Nitto Trail Grapplers.... except I cant seem to find how much the Nitto Trail Grapplers weigh... I already ruled out the Toyo M/T's as their just too heavy.

I also was reading about something called siping? does it work and is it worth it?

Sorry for the newb-ish 4x4 questions... new to the whole 4x4 world as I come from modifying muscle cars only up until now!

Thats all!! Any input and advice is appreciated....
My STT's have performed very well in the heavy down pouring rain and snow here in BC....but absolutely shat on ice! Siping does work very well, I siped my Stock Duellers and they perform just as good as my Cooper M&S winter tires on snow and ice. It cost me $20/tire to get siped. A few guys in town siped there M/T's and it helps with the ice.

I have not siped my STT's as I only run them in the spring, summer & fall on my good rims and run my Duellers for winters with the harsh salt and gravel they put on the highways in Revy. I am going to go with another set of STT's as I have been very pleased with the wear and performance of them and the price can't be beat for the type of tire you get.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Yokohama Geolander M/T
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

I've had two sets of Goodyear MTR w/K tires, and they are very good in snow and on wet highways. You can't balance them, but they work well.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Mickey thompson mtz work great on everything IMO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running the duratracs, and they have been great in Northwest snow and rain. I have the STT's on my Tacoma, and they are a better mud tire, but not by much. Both are great tires, but if you do go with STT's I would sipe them for better rain running. Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the post's folks... appreciate it.

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
My STT's have performed very well in the heavy down pouring rain and snow here in BC....but absolutely shat on ice! Siping does work very well, I siped my Stock Duellers and they perform just as good as my Cooper M&S winter tires on snow and ice. It cost me $20/tire to get siped. A few guys in town siped there M/T's and it helps with the ice.

I have not siped my STT's as I only run them in the spring, summer & fall on my good rims and run my Duellers for winters with the harsh salt and gravel they put on the highways in Revy. I am going to go with another set of STT's as I have been very pleased with the wear and performance of them and the price can't be beat for the type of tire you get.
^^^ thanks for the post... sounds like your another satisfied Cooper STT owner. The thing down in the lower-mainland is that we dont get much snow or ice but usually get it unpredictably and usually spaced out timing between snow falls. And it can be a pain to change tires in the cold....brrrr, lol.... i know, i know another lower-mainland person complaining about the little snow we get and the laughable temperature that we consider cold compared to the north! But still

I think if I get a nice M/T and sipe it I should be fine. I was thinking of selling the stock wheels and tires but I guess I could be swayed to reconsider I suppose to keep em for the salty snow roads in the winter months.

Originally Posted by bbkoz
I'm running the duratracs, and they have been great in Northwest snow and rain. I have the STT's on my Tacoma, and they are a better mud tire, but not by much. Both are great tires, but if you do go with STT's I would sipe them for better rain running. Good luck with your choice.
Just like the coopers your another satisfied duratrac owner... I have heard nothing but positive things about the Duratrac's and STT's.

I have my choice narrowed down to these M/T's as their lightweight and seem to have a good balance on road and off. Not to mention I hear they both wear well and aren't to loud on the roads.

Although i must say I am partial the "look" of tread pattern on Cooper STT's. But it seems like the Duratrac's might be a tad better in the wet.....

So between the Cooper STT and Goodyear Duratrac's is their a consensus which is better in the rain and snow? Or is it too close to call?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

The duratrac will be better in the rain, snow, and ice but the cooper will be a better mud tire/offroad tire.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im interested in the same tire options as you and anxious to see the replys!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

The nitto trail grapplers are awesome! They are absolutely perfect. They are great in the rain, snow, dirt, and mud. The are pretty quite tires as well and they wear very well.

Quick Reply: M/T tire that is good in snow and rain ?