Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To M or not to M, also steel vs aluminum

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
I prefer the look of the stock fenders, but I hate the inevitable paint rub-through that comes from their vibrating around. I'd also prefer something that isn't plastic hanging on the sides of my Jeep. And, once I go to 35s, I don't want to deal with the tires constantly getting into the fenders. My top two considerations are the Nemesis Notorious and Crawler Conceptz, both in aluminum. For me, the added weight savings -- compare about 9 lbs each for aluminum to as much as 45 for steel across brands -- makes aluminum the easy part of the decision. The hard part is deciding on an aesthetic. Nemesis looks the most finished to me, but I know Crawler Concepz products are extremely well-built. I like the MC Hardline and Poison Spyder fenders, but I'd want to do a two-tone powder coat if I were choosing a tube-style fender, which doubles the powder coating cost.

Ah, choices, choices, choices!
It sounds like you are going through the same process I am. I have decided NOT to rule out aluminum just yet. Weight is important (and so is strength). I'm going to look at the brands you mention. I'm leaning toward no "M" i.e. Hardlines if I go MC. The Overline's are cool but the price keeps getting higher and I don't think I'd ever bother to take the removable pieces off.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TacticalTankJKUR
It sounds like you are going through the same process I am. I have decided NOT to rule out aluminum just yet. Weight is important (and so is strength). I'm going to look at the brands you mention. I'm leaning toward no "M" i.e. Hardlines if I go MC. The Overline's are cool but the price keeps getting higher and I don't think I'd ever bother to take the removable pieces off.
Good point. I have had the Overlines on my TJ for over 5 years and I have never removed the flares in lieu of the rub rails. I have banged them on trees rock, etc and the worst thing that happens is rock rash. Of course, the fenders on the TJ are steel. I am also going through the same process as you in regards to flares for my JKU. I too am debating steel vs aluminum and MC vs PS. I cannot deny the Metal Cloak quality. My buddy has the Poison Spider aluminums on his JK and they look good, but the fitment is not as tight as MC. I also am considering the MCE flare; cheaper, lifetime warranty, and light weight. Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by CSM41; 07-28-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know everyone has a personal preference for how the fenders look, but how about function. Clearly aluminum is lighter, steel is stronger, and one would have to make a decision between those factors, but how about considering how they are attached.

I think most flat fenders just bolt to the sheet metal on the side of the Jeep. One good hit and you may not damage the fender, but there is a good chance of body damage.

I think Poison Spyder attaches to the fender frame instead of to the outer sheet metal. I would think this is an important point.

My approach would be to ID the functional requirements first and then select a LOOK that is acceptable. Personally I am not a fan of flat fenders. I like the OEM fenders.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
I know everyone has a personal preference for how the fenders look, but how about function. Clearly aluminum is lighter, steel is stronger, and one would have to make a decision between those factors, but how about considering how they are attached.

I think most flat fenders just bolt to the sheet metal on the side of the Jeep. One good hit and you may not damage the fender, but there is a good chance of body damage.

I think Poison Spyder attaches to the fender frame instead of to the outer sheet metal. I would think this is an important point.

My approach would be to ID the functional requirements first and then select a LOOK that is acceptable. Personally I am not a fan of flat fenders. I like the OEM fenders.
I think PSC and MC both have pretty sturdy reinforcement bracketry. Structural integrity is obviously important. The presumption I was working under was that they would all be stronger than the stock plastic flares.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

It's just my experience, but I started with the plastic Bushwhacker's and I bumped into a small tree on a trail and it dimpled my drivers side quarter panel and then later fell off!

Eventually they were all starting to fall off from fairly minor off road contact

I then threw them away and went with the poison spyder aluminum flats

My 2 door JK is pretty heavy with 37's on Dynatrac D44 and D60 + ACE front and rear bumpers, so I took a chance with aluminum

On a trail ride doing a steep climb dotted with lots of good sized rocks I managed to bounce the front right fender off of a decent sized tree on the way up

I figured the fender would be bent pretty good, I get out and looked at it and not even a scratch

I had the whole thing on my GoPros and when I watched it later there was definitely a decent sound and visible course correction at the point of impact

So in my experience the aluminum with a steel frame when properly mounted was quite strong...

The install was a good bit of work, two friends installed them at one of their professional fab shops, there were a lot of bolts holding each fender to the wheel well

Matthew

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
I prefer the look of the stock fenders, but I hate the inevitable paint rub-through that comes from their vibrating around. I'd also prefer something that isn't plastic hanging on the sides of my Jeep. And, once I go to 35s, I don't want to deal with the tires constantly getting into the fenders. My top two considerations are the Nemesis Notorious and Crawler Conceptz, both in aluminum. For me, the added weight savings -- compare about 9 lbs each for aluminum to as much as 45 for steel across brands -- makes aluminum the easy part of the decision. The hard part is deciding on an aesthetic. Nemesis looks the most finished to me, but I know Crawler Concepz products are extremely well-built. I like the MC Hardline and Poison Spyder fenders, but I'd want to do a two-tone powder coat if I were choosing a tube-style fender, which doubles the powder coating cost. Ah, choices, choices, choices!

Quick Reply: To M or not to M, also steel vs aluminum