Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lunchbox lockers!?!?!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lunchbox lockers!?!?!

hi my name is Connor and i have been addicted to jeep mods for about 2 years now

no but thinking about a spartan or ausie locker for the front and rear doesn't seem to hard to do and just probably would do it with the axles still on. just drain the fluid and get everything put. just wanted to know whats your experiance, i have a pretty tight budget but really want front and rear lockers i could care less about the clicking noise as long as that is a sign that it is working not that its broken but yeah any and all help

just give me a good recommendation for front a rear drop in autolockers
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Me and a buddy did an aussie locker install in the front and it wasn't a big job...the biggest issue was the washers Aussie sent me were too thick. Luckily my buddy had a set from a TJ install that were thinner and they worked fine. The rear is more difficult because you have to re-install the gears from what i understand..and shimming them is always a pain if you dont know what you are doing....which i dont.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

You have to pull the axles and carrier and remove and reinstall the gears to put in a lunchbox locker. I have heard that if the pin will clear your gears you can do it without pulling the carrier .. but with my 4.88 gears nothing cleared so it was a complete disassembly. You do not have to reset your gears and bearings or anything ... just put it all back together and Torgue Pinion nut to 150lbs.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Nobody makes a rear luchbox that fits the JK carrier that I know of. You're better off with a selectable back there anyway. Front is a piece of cake and it took me about 3 and a half hours working by myself with a few breaks to do other crap. Loosening the ring gear bolts would be a pain without a bench vice and Jeeps with some miles may take some effort to get the carrier out. Other than that it's easy if you mark the ring gear location and keep the bearing caps oriented properly. It's perfectly silent in 2WD and you don't know it's there.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Nobody makes a rear luchbox that fits the JK carrier that I know of. You're better off with a selectable back there anyway. Front is a piece of cake and it took me about 3 and a half hours working by myself with a few breaks to do other crap. Loosening the ring gear bolts would be a pain without a bench vice and Jeeps with some miles may take some effort to get the carrier out. Other than that it's easy if you mark the ring gear location and keep the bearing caps oriented properly. It's perfectly silent in 2WD and you don't know it's there.
Which front locker did you go with?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

An old post by the gentleman from Dynatrac

The JK D44 (open or LSD) won't accept a Lunchbox locker (unless something VERY new is out now). You'll need to change out the carrier for an open carrier from an earlier version. You'll need a 3.73 and down case, not the 3.92 and up case that you would expect. All D44 JKs use a 'thick' gear and the 3.92 and up case will not work with any gear set. You'll also need to drill out the ring gear flange as JK 44s all have 7/16" or 1/2" ring gear bolts. The earlier cases used 3/8" bolts.

I never recommend a lunchbox for rear axle applications as failure is pretty common. These lockers also wear over time (a Detroit doesn't) and will wear out. You can gain extra life in them by flipping the gears from side to side BEFORE they wear too far.
So, new carrier + drilling + maybe some creative shimming to get a lunchbox to work? If you are set on auto-lockers, sounds like a case for doing the front and saving for a detroit for the rear.

And a good locker overview:
h t t p://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/dynatrac-presents-lockers-101 Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101

Last edited by scooby snacks; 03-21-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Link to Non-sponsor (Project-JK); Disabled Link
Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Which front locker did you go with?
Aussie. Seemed like the best product for the money after researching what's out there.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

so an aussie would not require me to pull the carrier i dont know how to pull or replace the carrier and have had my done by my uncle i have a pretty good mechanical knowledge self taught from you guys and youtube and really any other resource i can get my hands on i want to do the front with a mechanical and then do a selectable in the rear. from what it sounds like its not worth the hassle because if your already taking the carrier out just transfer the ring and pinion onto the locking carrier. what model aussie did you use for the front i want to do something cool as a project and figure a lock would be pretty bad ass especially with the spartan or another autolocker being aroun 400 thats not bad especially looking at Eaton e-lockers which are so much. like i said im a kid and honestly budgets tight but i want make sure i put quality products in to ensure that is capable when i want to use it
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

come on guys dont let it go dead now
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

I recently installed the Aussie in the front D30 and it was pretty basic. I did pull the carrier And had never done it
, but followed a write up online. Took me about 5 hrs taking my time.

Love it and notice a heck of a difference offroad.

Quick Reply: Lunchbox lockers!?!?!