Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lumen Cube Lights + Hi Lift Hood Mount

Old 06-26-2018, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumen Cube Lights + Hi Lift Hood Mount

Wasn't sure which category this would fit into best, but I am wanting to install some cube lights in the bottom of my windshield, but also want a hood mount for my hi lift jack. I am unsure if the hi lift will block the light from the cubes, which if it does, makes the cubes a bit impractical and a waste. Anyone have any experience on this issue or seen it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Lights on the windshield look cool but you lose a bit of the light on the hood. I recently moved my windshield lights down to the bumper where they belong. The hi lift mount on the hood is good if it's not something you plan on accessing regularly and you're ok with blocking some of your line of sight- wether it be on the street or the trail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180626_183224.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	677095  
The following users liked this post:
newjeeper13 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton for that. What if I mounted a double cube light bracket, but only used the top location of it so that the light would be a bit higher?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Just a quick review of the basics before I relate my experience and opinion: Setting aesthetics aside, what is the advantage with placing lights higher up? A lot of folks will think it's because the light will go further down the trail. Generally, lights higher up are not allowed to be used on public roads, and in some states they must be covered (a fact that is routinely ignored anymore). I submit that there are two possible uses for lights higher up:

1) When fording deep water, they will be above the water. Anything underwater is going to be pretty useless.

2) They are great for at camp when you're setting up late. The higher the better.

Note that I didn't write anything about lighting the trail at night. That's because they also do a wonderful job of lighting the hood, which I find to be a distraction. And, although I don't have windshield lights, the lights on the overhead rack do that. And, I have a shovel and axe mounted on my hood, and they add to that distraction. Honestly, I avoid using those lights while driving at night.

An interesting observation: Before I extended my overhead rack, I had those lights back behind where the hood/removable Freedom Top panels are located and they were much more usable at night. The rooftop in front of them adequately shaded the hood area. So, those pickups where the lights are mounted behind the cab have the right idea.

Just some food for thought from someone who's been all over North America in all seasons and conditions.

My Jeep before extending the overhead rack ...

My Jeep after extending the overhead rack ...

Video showing those lights illuminated as seen by driver (2:05 if not forwarded automatically) ...

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-26-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Lumen Cube Lights + Hi Lift Hood Mount