Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lugnuts on one tire keep backing off while I drive... HELP!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lugnuts on one tire keep backing off while I drive... HELP!

This is the 2nd time now, that the lugnuts have backed off and the wheel starts to move while I'm driving. Any idea why they keep backing off? It only happens on the drivers side rear.

Procomp rims and 37's if it makes a difference.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove any lube from studs
get them torqued
and then start thinkin that some one is out to get u!
this was a common occurrence at a factory i worked at one
Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

are you sure you have the correct lugs?
they are probobally damaged now check them and the studs too
Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

you should remove the brake rotor clips if you havent already. they can cause the rim not to sit flush. i had the same problem, than i bought a tire rod
Old 05-08-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeeksta
are you sure you have the correct lugs?
they are probobally damaged now check them and the studs too
x2 would check to make sure the put the correct ones. remove and inspect wheel for damage were the stud goes through, if wrong will wollow out wheel and could end up seeing that thing pass ya on the freeway....could make for and exciting time.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

...What pro comp rims do you have?....are they the hubcentric ones or the ones with the plastic rings?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

I'll bet they made a mistake at the factory and put right-hand studs on the left side again. Call your factory rep and complain.

Just kidding, torque them properly and you'll just fine.

Actually, on early Chrysler products, the threads were reversed on one side. If I recall right they were left-hand threads on the right side and right-hand threads on the left side. Theory was that they would loosen otherwise. Another case of engineers at their best. Ho Ho! Changing tires was fun if you weren't paying attention. Someone always managed to gorilla the nuts on or snap the studs.

Last edited by mtruckstuff; 05-10-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

You know i'm having the same problem on the back. I just chalked it up to the painted wheels. I figured the black paint was wearing off the tapered seat for the lugs, but after learing about those star washers that hold the rotors on i'm going to pull it in the garage tommorrow and pull all those off. I wasn't aware that they could cause a seating problem with aftermarket wheels. I know my stock wheel on the passenger rear was almost impossible to take off. I kept looking to make sure i took all the lugnuts off. I bet the star washers were the culprit acting like star lock washers and holding on to the soft aluminum.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The bevel on the lug nuts and on the wheels has to match perfectly for the nuts to stay tight. Usually, if they work loose ONCE, it is enough to compromise the angle on the nuts, the wheel, or both. Removing the lube from the threads will do nothing for you, because the threads have absolutely nothing to do with holding the nuts tight on the wheel. Well.....they kinda do. Lube on the threads won't hurt a thing, though. The lug nuts are held tight by the corresponding angles on both the nuts and wheel. Most wheel manufacturers actually recommend lubing the wheel studs. I would very closely inspect the angles on the nuts and wheel. It is also a good idea, as one person suggeted to make sure the clips for the rotors are GONE. They are only used to keep the rotors in place while your Jeep was goin down the assembly line.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

And, to add to the above...it may seem obvious..but, are you tightening the lugs one at a time, in a circle, or are you hitting each lug in a star pattern, so that you do NOT tighten two next to each other in a row?

Rotation of the rim can UNSCREW the damn things if you do not use an alternating tightening pattern....it can/does happen.

Quick Reply: Lugnuts on one tire keep backing off while I drive... HELP!