Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lube locker or just sealant?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lube locker or just sealant?

I am replacing my stock rear differential cover with a aftermarket one. I have read some guys just running sealant ( mind you stock this has twice wracked and leaked) just running the lubelocker gasket and lubelocker with sealant. Thoughts ?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

*thoughts on what route to go?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lubelocker. They are great. Easy to reuse, no sealant/RTV necessary. If you have the money just do it. Do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-29-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

rtv, readily available...
Old 09-29-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I think the lube locker gives a bit more flexibility, in that if the cover ever shows a little seepage or leak, that you can simply snug up the bolts a bit. With the sealant, once it dries, it pretty much either seals or it doesn't. I suppose if it was put on thick enough you might have a bit of gap filling qualities. For me the ability to reuse was a factor as well.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lube Locker on the diff with RTV in the tool bag. The LL can be reused after routine inspection diff removals. It may also be reusable after diff cover damage on the trail. The LL is more forgiving than RTV if the diff cover take a hit. If the LL is damaged on the trail you have the RTV to get you home.

That's what I do.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

I use RTV sealant called the Right stuff. It sticks to anything. I use it at work when working on Heavy Equipment and big rigs. Oil can be leaking out and it still seals (I have done it many times when you can not get it to stop weeping will putting a cover on).
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
Lube Locker on the diff with RTV in the tool bag. The LL can be reused after routine inspection diff removals. It may also be reusable after diff cover damage on the trail. The LL is more forgiving than RTV if the diff cover take a hit. If the LL is damaged on the trail you have the RTV to get you home.

That's what I do.
i agree on this one. its also what i do. ive knocked my dif cover loose a few times on the trail and the lube locker barely leaked. Tightened it down and good to go. RTV may have been a different story.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I'll be just doing the lubelocker and keeping the rtv in the trail tools. Thanks guys
Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

When filling it with fluid. How much do you put in?

Quick Reply: Lube locker or just sealant?