Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lsd locker question

Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lsd locker question

Okay, so this may be a dumb question but I have little knowledge in this area. If I were to add arb air lockers to my stock Sahara would it still be lsd when the locker is disengaged or would it become an open differential?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be an open differential.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although you would still retain the stock BLD (brake lock differential) which functions somewhat like a LSD.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I drive in heavy snow conditions semi frequently. Would the stock lsd or some type of locker be better? I have yet to get into serious off-roading.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The stock lsd isn't really a very good traction device. Better than an open diff, but it is clutch driven and will wear out over time, taking you right back to an open diff.

Your aftermarket options:

Auto-Lockers - Lunchbox, Detroit, etc. These are full time locked, and are not the best option on snow/ice.

Selectables - ARB, E-Locker, Ox locker, etc. These are open diffs until you push the button, then they are locked. Good on snow/ice, since they are open diffs until you press that button. But, they are very expensive, and may require air sources or extra parts.

LSD/Locker - The ECTed functions as both, but you may want to think twice about it, or at least do some research so you know what you are getting.

And that leaves my personal favorite, the Eaton Detroit TrueTrac. It is by far the best limited slip on the market. Full case and no clutches, so it is very strong and will not wear out like the clutch driven L/S's. It has very good road manners in snow/ice, and will perform very well for everything except hardcore wheels in the air crawling. (and even then, a little brake pressure will lock it up). Haven't priced the d44 version, but the d30 TT is around $375, with no air or electric lines or switches or anything extra. You could do worse that TT's front and rear...

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The stock lsd isn't really a very good traction device. Better than an open diff, but it is clutch driven and will wear out over time, taking you right back to an open diff.

Your aftermarket options:

Auto-Lockers - Lunchbox, Detroit, etc. These are full time locked, and are not the best option on snow/ice.

Selectables - ARB, E-Locker, Ox locker, etc. These are open diffs until you push the button, then they are locked. Good on snow/ice, since they are open diffs until you press that button. But, they are very expensive, and may require air sources or extra parts.

LSD/Locker - The ECTed functions as both, but you may want to think twice about it, or at least do some research so you know what you are getting.

And that leaves my personal favorite, the Eaton Detroit TrueTrac. It is by far the best limited slip on the market. Full case and no clutches, so it is very strong and will not wear out like the clutch driven L/S's. It has very good road manners in snow/ice, and will perform very well for everything except hardcore wheels in the air crawling. (and even then, a little brake pressure will lock it up). Haven't priced the d44 version, but the d30 TT is around $375, with no air or electric lines or switches or anything extra. You could do worse that TT's front and rear...
That ected sounds pretty cool. What are the drawbacks on that one?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
The clutches can wear out and then you must return it for exchange (and pay for labor to remove and re-install). Clutch driven LSDs are a bad choice for off road rigs. If a tire lifts and free spins, in either an unlocked Ected or a factory LSD, the clutches wear pretty fast. Anything but Ected.

If you do light-to-moderate off roading, Truetracs are a great choice. For this user, I prefer them over any selectable. They work even if you don't know you need them. I've had them for years in my Cherokee and tow rigs and love them.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
There is some more info here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=ected
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the info
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

How would you know if your lsd clutch is worn out? How long do the stock ones last?

Quick Reply: lsd locker question