Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower/upper control arm lengths for 2.5" lift on a 2-door?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower/upper control arm lengths for 2.5" lift on a 2-door?

Does anyone know what the proper lengths are for both upper and lower control arms on a 2.5" on a 2-door? And does anyone know what the correct pinion angle should be for the front and rear driveshafts?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

I know I can't be the only person asking this question???
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

With 2.5", you don't need to change the length of the arms

Last edited by JKU Rubicon; 01-21-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 20JK10
Does anyone know what the proper lengths are for both upper and lower control arms on a 2.5" on a 2-door? And does anyone know what the correct pinion angle should be for the front and rear driveshafts?
The rear is easier to figure out. you could leave the lowers at stock length and then lengthen to uppers till you pinion lines up with the driveshaft.

For the front, its a different story. Its a compromise of pinion angle vs camber for alignment. Teraflex has a chart on their website that is a good starting point. I do not remember off hand what they are though.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

I would also like to know what length to adjust the Teraflex lower control arms to correct the negitive caster, as result of the lift. I diden't notice the effect of the negitive caster when I was running the stock tires, when I installed the 35s i could feel the wandering at higher speeds. When I talked to Treaflex they said It would help the issue.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 4door
I would also like to know what length to adjust the Teraflex lower control arms to correct the negitive caster, as result of the lift. I diden't notice the effect of the negitive caster when I was running the stock tires, when I installed the 35s i could feel the wandering at higher speeds. When I talked to Treaflex they said It would help the issue.

From the FAQ's:
Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.

From the Write-ups area:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loadbreak

Teraflex has a chart on their website that is a good starting point. I do not remember off hand what they are though.
That chart is wrong.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Control arm length

Why do you say the Teraflex chart is wrong?
If so what should the length be?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MountainJK
That chart is wrong.
Actually it is not. That is how I initially set mine, but I decided to shorten the Front Lowers from their spec for my application. I also said its a good starting point, not the bible.

See link below. You will have to click on the .pdf dowload once there.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-...rms.html#third

Last edited by Loadbreak; 01-22-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Front Lower CA length

Thanks for the response. I am in the process of making a set of control arms for my unit and wanted to make sure the Tera Flex lengths were good as mine will be welded and not adjustable.

Quick Reply: Lower/upper control arm lengths for 2.5" lift on a 2-door?