Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower rear control arms

Old 11-09-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower rear control arms

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on some rear lower arms. Was curious how far far a can move the axle back with the stock drive shaft. Was thinking of currie for the arms. just didnt have enough dough to get a rear drive shaft yet and want to move the axle back an inch
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you really can't move your axle back that much and not because of any problems that you might have with your driveshaft but rather, problems of rubbing of your coils on your track bar.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you really can't move your axle back that much and not because of any problems that you might have with your driveshaft but rather, problems of rubbing of your coils on your track bar.
x2. The idea is to center the axle back to its original position , not to extend your wheelbase as much as possible.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the replies i was hoping that i could push it back just a smidge to get farther from the pinch seam
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryHood1
thanks for the replies i was hoping that i could push it back just a smidge to get farther from the pinch seam
unfortunately, you can't extend the lengths of the lower rears more than about a 1/4" or so. regarding your pinch seam, your best bet is to do what the rest of us have done and that's to hack the end of it off at an angle.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X3, whack the pinch seam off. Highly recommended, plus it's fun.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
unfortunately, you can't extend the lengths of the lower rears more than about a 1/4" or so. regarding your pinch seam, your best bet is to do what the rest of us have done and that's to hack the end of it off at an angle.
easiest thing to do
Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, absolutely trim or bend the pinch seam.

Moving the axle back is the wrong solution for that problem. You will introduce more problems than you solve.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Depending on which rear track bar your running, you can move the axle back 1/2" to 1". This will of course cause the rear springs to be bowed a lil more and you will need to address that. Im running the Tera rear bar, axle moved back around 5/8". No track bar rubbing issues.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
Depending on which rear track bar your running, you can move the axle back 1/2" to 1". This will of course cause the rear springs to be bowed a lil more and you will need to address that. Im running the Tera rear bar, axle moved back around 5/8". No track bar rubbing issues.
i have noticed my rear coils bowed out a lil toward the rear on mine, what do you do to correct that? if the control arms don't push the axle back, what could be done. or is it the lower rear push out 5/8 of an inch, and the top rear pull in 1" to get it all straight?

Quick Reply: Lower rear control arms