Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower MPG

Old 11-29-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when gas is $1.49 i don't even think about MPG .... BUT when it's up to $4 + a gallon i can't think about anything else!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 PM
JK Newbie

You asked so here is my opinion.

I have asked one of the best engine tuning experts in Finland about gaining power to normal aspirated engines - the answer was simple, if you want power it will cost a lot. Those ad- and bolt-ons and reprogramming gives you so marginal gain, that they are not worth it. You might feel better after reprogramming, but basically that is because programmin also changes the reaction to gas pedal, so with less travel of gas pedal you burn more fuel.

Only good way to get power without rebuilding the engine is charger because I think it is leagal in usa?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,, some of you dont get as good mpg,, I had an 07 jk2dr w 4.10's,, best I got was 16mpg,, on the highway long trip,, calculator,, in fact I rarely ever got past 240 miles on a tank,, My 08 which is the same but with 3.73's and the crappy GY sra's for tires(had 31" GY mtr's on the 07.. and on long highway I can get 22-24 if and the big if,, I stay off the go pedal.. Now some say if want of care about MPG you have the wrong vehicle? Why.. I have a e-350 work van that gets 9-11mpg,, My 06 liberty gets at best 18mpg if I really try,, sometimes better but I need to run Hi-test.. and My next door neighbor who has a little 95 honda accord is getting 28 mpg.. and His ridgeline gets 22 on the highway if he really tries.. So,, I drive 120 mile a day commuting,, I care about my MPG.. and until I get an extra commuter that will pass 30mpg I'll keep driving my safe JK everyday,,, which will crush neons..
Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just completed a trip of 1118 miles traveling 55 - 70 miles per hour and got an average of 18.7 calculated manually.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Observed MPG

I've only had my JK since Feb '08 but my observed fuel efficency is usually around 13-14mpg for mostly city driving. Long road trips get it up into the 16+ range as shown here:

Like many have said above, MPG is not the reason I bought the Jeep, but it's fun to keep track of it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turtle
MPG and performance don't have to be mutually exclusive. The problem is, when you install a part that will increase power slightly and help mileage, generally we like to play with the heavy pedal, and it negates any slight MPG gains.

In general, when you open up the engine's breathing abilities (Intake and exhaust), it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same level of power. The problem with that is, if you upgrade to a CAI and a full exhaust, you've just dropped two or three grand. Think how much that 1MPG increase will offset $3000 and how long will it take to pay for itself?
that's a very valid point, sir
Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

From reading this board for so long since I got my JK 4-door in July, it looks like MPGs are all over the place. When mine was bone stock, I got 15 mpg out of it no matter what. I have the auto tranny and 3.73 gears with BFG 255 Mud Terrains. I then added bumpers, skids, and the hard top. I was looking for a little more "oomph" and added a CAI. Now I get 14 mpg. I did notice a little better throttle response with the CAI, but no increased mileage.

When I read posts from guys who are getting over 15 on their JK, it makes me jealous. But, it's been said here several times: I knew going in to this that I wasn't going to be bragging about my fuel economy.

I just ordered a lift today, which of course will lead to bigger tires soon, then gears.......................and of course, lower mpg.

Quick Reply: Lower MPG