Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower MPG

Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
(Don't go in the water with a CAI).
You can go in water with a CAI without any problem... just don't submerge the CAI in water! Like so:
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by LakeTravisJK
21mpg??? pretty funny...
My experience and some common sense say if some people were getting a REAL 21mpg, that's what would be on the window sticker.
I have, but it's not every tankful and there are numerous variables involved. I was always able to best the rated mileage on my TJ as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
You can go in water with a CAI without any problem... just don't submerge the CAI in water! Like so:

Too risky for me! You've got moxie man!!!

I actually have gotten the best performance top down and doors off
Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turtle
MPG and performance don't have to be mutually exclusive. The problem is, when you install a part that will increase power slightly and help mileage, generally we like to play with the heavy pedal, and it negates any slight MPG gains.

In general, when you open up the engine's breathing abilities (Intake and exhaust), it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same level of power. The problem with that is, if you upgrade to a CAI and a full exhaust, you've just dropped two or three grand. Think how much that 1MPG increase will offset $3000 and how long will it take to pay for itself?
exactly, an intake and exhaust on a jeep are not worth it...because there is little to no power gains and again, little mpg gain.

Jeeps are not aerodynamic, they are not met for speed.....heck, they are not met for turns either....handling is poor on them for the most part. As said above, these are offroad vehicles that have been adapted for pavement driving...not vice versa.

don't expect to turn them into a race car or anything near that. you got a prick on the road with a fast car? challenge him off road and see what he says.....
Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
yeah too risky for me too....I don't have a CAI but i don't think i would go in that deep regardless lol
Old 04-11-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

One dip in the passenger side and, cough cough ka-put. I've been bating this around also the whole idea of a CAI but I keep coming to the conclusion that if it's not part of the snorkel then I'm not sure it's worth the investment.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Going through a puddle, with no ruts to drop a bit lower down into, etc...is not the same thing as being able to go through deep water with no problem.

The simple fact of the matter is that the intakes draw air from under the hood....where the water goes....if the jeep dips a bit and temporarily submerges the intake point, you have a 3.8L Wet Vac.

The stock intake point is just behind the passenger side hood latch area....just about at the hood line....deeper than that, and, glug glug glug.

The CAI's tend to be lower than that stock hood line, more even with the headlights typically.

So - in a concrete bottomed pool, or someplace where you KNOW EXACTLY how deep every bit of that water is, and that there are no drop offs, or holes, or tire ruts from some other rig, etc....sure, you can happily drive along with the water just below whatever YOUR intake height is.

If you are doing a normal offroad water crossing, well, typically, you can't see the bottom, and you really do NOT know, for sure, that one side CAN'T drop a few more inches down than you were cruising along at.

So - you need a fudge factor....if you have a CAI, you need a LARGER fudge factor, as it sucks from a lower point....AND....because it DOESN'T suck through a series of traps before it gets to the engine intake itself....once through the filter....the water goes RIGHT into the engine.

I've SEEN CAI rigs hydrolock from one bad splash, or from one unexpected dip in underwater elevation. I've seen OEM intake rigs hydrolock too, but, not from a splash.....and the underwater dip was deeper than it would have had to have been with a LOWER, more direct route, intake point.

A snorkel is essentially a CAI...probably the BEST CAI, as COLD Air Intakes get COLDER air up at the roof line, than any air sucked in under the hood....AND they raise the intake point, hopefully enough to be out of range of those underwater dips, etc.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Still, yours hang lower than mine. I'd rather fall off a rock, than run in water like that. Cudos to you.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LakeTravisJK
21mpg??? pretty funny...
My experience and some common sense say if some people were getting a REAL 21mpg, that's what would be on the window sticker.
when i am really trying i will get 23 MPG on my readout for one tank of gas. when i am not caring as much i get around 21.5 MPG.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fuel economy should be the last thing on your mind as a JK owner.

Quick Reply: Lower MPG