Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower MPG

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower MPG

How can I do if I want to have more power and more full economy...can you put what you should do and how much more MPG its giving you...thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

It could just be a coincidence, but since installing my CAI (cold air intake) I've gotten roughly 1-1.5 miles per gallon more than stock. You'll also notice that your fuel economy will improve all by itself as the engine breaks in... it took several thousand miles for me before I achieved "peak" MPG.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more power and more fuel economy, sell the jk and get a hemi wk.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. Sell the Jeep if you're concerned about mileage.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Why would people say sell the jeep if they care about mpg. The unlimited gets the best mpg, out of almost any decent suv. 21mpg is dam good for a suv.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

21mpg??? pretty funny...
My experience and some common sense say if some people were getting a REAL 21mpg, that's what would be on the window sticker.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've only had mine for about 600 miles, but manual hand calculation is telling me that I get roughly 19.3 to the gallon...combination of highway and city. I am not complaining.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you've done it! You've opened up a can that's been put on the shelf for a while.

More power and more MPG in once sentence doesn't really blend. People have been having mixed results with Cold Air Intakes, while others have destroyed their engine with them (Don't go in the water with a CAI).

The best way to get the best economy out of your jeep is to keep the thing stock (No lift... no tires... no bumpers... nothing). Also, be sure to keep it maintained (Regular oil changes, air filter inspections/replacement, tune ups as necessary... maintain the air pressure in the tires). Keeping your foot off the gas helps too. I was getting 20-ish when my jeep was new, but since then I've been a little less friendly with the gas pedal.

Performance-wise, you're not going to get too much out of her. The jeep is nothing more than a paved road friendly off-road machine. It's not really meant to go fast. I don't know what kind of performance you're looking for ("Get up and go"... or "I want to tow") but you're probably only going to be milking some power out of it, and wont see any huge gains.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used one of the Hypercharger Max Energy programmers and it did boost power and I believe it helped the MPG too!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Turtle

MPG and performance don't have to be mutually exclusive. The problem is, when you install a part that will increase power slightly and help mileage, generally we like to play with the heavy pedal, and it negates any slight MPG gains.

In general, when you open up the engine's breathing abilities (Intake and exhaust), it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same level of power. The problem with that is, if you upgrade to a CAI and a full exhaust, you've just dropped two or three grand. Think how much that 1MPG increase will offset $3000 and how long will it take to pay for itself?

Quick Reply: Lower MPG