Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower control arm question

Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arm question

I'm adding currie lower front control arms today to my 4 door JK that has a Teraflex 2.5'' coil lift. I did a search, I read the install notes from WOL but need a quick answer I could not find. The question is -about how much shorter than stock should the new control arms be adjusted to? I see measurements if you are putting upper and lowers on. Could someone give me as simple an answer as possible, I'm not an expert at all on this and could use some good advice. Thanks, and by the way David at Northridge is a great guy to do business with, I can see why everyone is so high on him.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Will35
I'm adding currie lower front control arms today to my 4 door JK that has a Teraflex 2.5'' coil lift. I did a search, I read the install notes from WOL but need a quick answer I could not find. The question is -about how much shorter than stock should the new control arms be adjusted to? I see measurements if you are putting upper and lowers on. Could someone give me as simple an answer as possible, I'm not an expert at all on this and could use some good advice. Thanks, and by the way David at Northridge is a great guy to do business with, I can see why everyone is so high on him.

David is terrific, as soon as I do my taxes I'll be spending about 2K with him, well at least 2K.

Install the lower front control arms about 5/16" longer (yes, LONGER) than stock and then check your caster and clearances with the trackbar, springs, sway bar links & stuff.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Had you gotten the uppers they would be SHORTER, but since you got the lowers yes, they need to be LONGER.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lower need to be longer so your tires tilt in.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thantos
Lower need to be longer so your tires tilt in.

Why would your tires "tilt in"??
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Think he's trying to say the axle rotates to compensate for angle.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for all your help guys. I promise I'll get off my butt and get some pics up when I get done. I was thinking the lowers being shorter would pull the pinion angle straighter and that was the goal instead of getting the alignment right but I see now.

Quick Reply: Lower control arm question