Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower Control Arm Lengths for 2.5 lift

Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I installed the TF lower front FlexArms on my 2.5 coil lift this am and here are my notes. I had a little hiccup with greasing them. When I was greasing them, the pressure inside the joint built up and partially popped a seal Not sure how it happened. I took it to a local Canadian Tire and they were able to reseat it with a table press and some bars. After that incident, things went smoothly. Before I installed the LCAs, my castor was around 3 degrees using the method WayOfLife describes using a Johnson angle finder. I put both Flexarms in at 23 1/8 length from the centre of each eye to the centre of the other eye. After putting them in (a jack to raise the axel can help line things up if they don't slide in nicely), and torquing them to 125, the measured Castor is around 6.5.

in terms of performance, it is much more directionally stable now (I'm still running the stock trackbar, drag link, and tie rod), especially at highway speeds. I used to get the flighty steering in wind gusts and when hitting bumps. It is much better now, and buttery smooth

I'm really happy I got them. I haven't had a chance to test out the flex yet, but am sure they will flex better than the stock arms.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
FYI I have the same lift and my front lowers are both 23 and have not had death wobble (knock on wood)
Thanks for the input. I still may go out a little bit, as larger tires are in the future...
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered front lower LCAs for my TF 2.5 Coil lift, what "good" would rear lowers do for me, does it push the axle further back?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex 2 1/2" spring lift on an short WB and 23" driver ans 23'1/8 passenger. That is what Northridge told be. I did it and it's perfect. You'll love it.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

im not a huge fan of measuring.. and too stupid to realize that that means i shouldnt really mess with stuff like this, but i started with them at 23" and then went off the angle from an angle finder until it was about 5.5 on each side. didnt really do the eye to eye measurements after the initial, but counted the threads showing from left side to right side and i know my right one is a couple longer than the left.. not sure if that helps, probably going to re-measure and mess with them this weekend. But 5.5 degrees improved my flightiness a bit so thats cool
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

"JAX" You will not need rear lowers with your lift. Rear uppers will help for adjusting your rear driveshaft pinion angle. If you get rear uppers and lowers you could center your rear wheels in the opening of your rear wheelwells just as front uppers and lowers allows you to do.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Default Teraflex control arms

Hi Guys,

I have just installed a 2.5" TF coil lift and changed all the OEM control arms for the TF adjustable control arms.

Couple of observations, the TF recommended arms length doesn't work with the 2.5" coil lift, not very surprising as not many people change or feel the need to go for the adjustable arms (I just like the thought of it) indeed slightly over kill

So coming back to the control arm length's, my rr top control arms are set as small as possible, the lower once are 1/8" longer than the original once. You have to do this otherwise your axel is too far to the back and your rear track bar hits the axel mounting.

For the front it is similar, just set the arms as small as possible and your jeep will drive fine. I also installed the TF adjustable front track bar (heavy duty). believe it or not but the shortest you can get the bar it is still too long, so I had to cut 1/2 inch off. The fr trackbar is now the right length.

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Lengths for 2.5 lift