Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low Speed Wobble Help

Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMO blk JK
The only reason I say low speed it because once i get over 50 everything goes away and she rides smooth. It's literary right at 43mph she starts to shake. When I say wheel wobble I'm revering to the steering wheel.
If you stay within the speed range of the wobble does it just wobble a little or does it get progressively worse to the point you feel like you're going to crap your pants?

I had a similar issue with my TJ and it ended up being the tires. It wasn't death wobble (the front wheels oscillating violently back and forth) in my case, it was more of an up/down side to side bouncing that would feed back through the steering wheel. If I stayed within the resonant speed range for long it would start to get scary.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only reason I say low speed it because once i get over 50 everything goes away and she rides smooth. It's literary right at 43mph she starts to shake. When I say wheel wobble I'm revering to the steering wheel.
Were the wheels and tires mounted locally? If so, I would take them back and ask them to spin each one up on the balancer. YOU need to be there and watch them spin. I'll tell you what to look for. Look at the very edge of the rim and the side of the tire as it spins. The tire and rim should spin "together". If it looks like the wheel is straight and the tire is "wobbling", then that tire needs to be aired down and broken down on the wheel. They need to lube the beads up VERY well, and then "turn" the tire 180 degrees on the rim, and air it back up to around 60 PSI and then back down to the proper level. This will ensure that the tire is on the rim straight and it has "popped out" all the way. Lots of times tires will be stubborn to seat all the way. Sometimes they need a little persuadin. Also of course, look for a bent rim while on the balancer. If you got them online, I notice you're in Marietta. It would be a bit of a drive, but I know a very reputable tire store in Macon.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

The "star washers" have been removed. there is definitely no washer around the wheels studs. thanks for clearing that up. I'm starting to think you're right about the looseness of drag link/tie rod causing the problem, thats the only thing out of the ordinary. I'll jack the front up and try that and look for movement.

before you jack the jeep up or even after, start the jeep and have someone slowely move the steering wheel left to right, while you lay on the ground and check for movement in parts, look at trackbar and bracket, and other parts, that should show if there is anything loose or broken,

I do this on a reg basis, to check components,
Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
If you stay within the speed range of the wobble does it just wobble a little or does it get progressively worse to the point you feel like you're going to crap your pants?

I had a similar issue with my TJ and it ended up being the tires. It wasn't death wobble (the front wheels oscillating violently back and forth) in my case, it was more of an up/down side to side bouncing that would feed back through the steering wheel. If I stayed within the resonant speed range for long it would start to get scary.
It never gets progressively and I'm yet to feel as if I'm going to crap my pants (thank god) and I don't get a feeling of bouncing it's more of a vibration (i think)

Originally Posted by N2rock
I have the exact same issue, and am also running the Crager D window

However, mine had the problem before I changed the wheels/tires. When I had the stock wheels with 32" BFG's, the wobble would occur around 50mph, and clear up at 55mph. When i switched the wheels, I also put on 35" KM2's. When I did that, the wobble changed to around 40mph, and clears up at 45mph.

If I stay at the wobble speed, it doesn't get worse, it just continues or clears up.

It's not severe, really just a shimmy at the steering wheel.

My star washers were removed when the wheels were put on.
N2rock, you pretty much hit the nail on the head, thats the exact problem. So you had the problem with stock wheel/tires; I guess this means it's possibly not a wheel/tire problem and more of a suspension component problem? Have you done anything about it or are you still looking for a cure?

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Were the wheels and tires mounted locally? If so, I would take them back and ask them to spin each one up on the balancer. YOU need to be there and watch them spin. I'll tell you what to look for. Look at the very edge of the rim and the side of the tire as it spins. The tire and rim should spin "together". If it looks like the wheel is straight and the tire is "wobbling", then that tire needs to be aired down and broken down on the wheel. They need to lube the beads up VERY well, and then "turn" the tire 180 degrees on the rim, and air it back up to around 60 PSI and then back down to the proper level. This will ensure that the tire is on the rim straight and it has "popped out" all the way. Lots of times tires will be stubborn to seat all the way. Sometimes they need a little persuadin. Also of course, look for a bent rim while on the balancer. If you got them online, I notice you're in Marietta. It would be a bit of a drive, but I know a very reputable tire store in Macon.
I did get the tires locally (Discount Tire in Kennesaw, GA) and I just had them balance the tires again but I could take them back and ask to watch and maybe teach them a few things about balancing tires, wow you know a lot about balancing tires, lol. Or do you think I should just take them to the local 4 Wheel Parts and explain my issue to them? I probably should have just bought from them in the first place...

Originally Posted by blkpearl
before you jack the jeep up or even after, start the jeep and have someone slowely move the steering wheel left to right, while you lay on the ground and check for movement in parts, look at trackbar and bracket, and other parts, that should show if there is anything loose or broken,

I do this on a reg basis, to check components,
I had the problem and then put my lift on and checked all the components, and I don't think anything is broken. I know my drag link and tie rod feel loose and have metal on metal contact when I turn them but I'm not sure what to do and the dealership says nothing is wrong. I'll go ahead and try that though and check my trackbar.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I appreciate all the advice and help.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I was a mechanic for almost thirty years before I was disabled, so I have balanced my share of tires. I wouldn't go in acting like you got advice from anyone. Just let them know what your problem is. They will in all likelihood fix it.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

The size of the tires may be too much for the stock steering stabilizer to dampen. I got a couple of months out of mine, until the 35s were too much for it. I replaced it with a Rancho and shimmy went away...
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

It never gets progressively and I'm yet to feel as if I'm going to crap my pants (thank god) and I don't get a feeling of bouncing it's more of a vibration (i think)

N2rock, you pretty much hit the nail on the head, thats the exact problem. So you had the problem with stock wheel/tires; I guess this means it's possibly not a wheel/tire problem and more of a suspension component problem? Have you done anything about it or are you still looking for a cure?

I did get the tires locally (Discount Tire in Kennesaw, GA) and I just had them balance the tires again but I could take them back and ask to watch and maybe teach them a few things about balancing tires, wow you know a lot about balancing tires, lol. Or do you think I should just take them to the local 4 Wheel Parts and explain my issue to them? I probably should have just bought from them in the first place...

I had the problem and then put my lift on and checked all the components, and I don't think anything is broken. I know my drag link and tie rod feel loose and have metal on metal contact when I turn them but I'm not sure what to do and the dealership says nothing is wrong. I'll go ahead and try that though and check my trackbar.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I appreciate all the advice and help.
I had these same wheels and had avibration problem with 2 of the 4 I got from Quadratec, it seems steel wheels just can not be trued as well as most cast wheels and once I rotated the two "problem" rims to the rear - the vibration went away. By the way my vibration was around 67MPH. Also Cragar is horrible at shipping these wheels, the first 3 were sent back because of obvious dents on the rim edge.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZJEEPFAN
I had these same wheels and had avibration problem with 2 of the 4 I got from Quadratec, it seems steel wheels just can not be trued as well as most cast wheels and once I rotated the two "problem" rims to the rear - the vibration went away. By the way my vibration was around 67MPH. Also Cragar is horrible at shipping these wheels, the first 3 were sent back because of obvious dents on the rim edge.
I actually just started having this problem. Seems to be 40-50mph, right around 43mph. I've been running 17" Cragar Soft 8's on 33" Pro-Comp Xterrains. I've had the wheels and tires on since January and never a problem. I had it in the shop for the transmission TO bearing TSB and had them rotate the tires while it was up. Now I've got the shake.

I re-torqued all the wheels to 90 ft. lbs. when I brought it home. My next step is to rotate the fronts to the back and see what happens. Also going to get the balance rechecked.

My wheels were shipped from Summit. The first set was totally destroyed. The second set was much better but far from perfect.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Ely
JK Newbie

Take it back to the tire shop you have a balance issue. Balance issues are most common at or around 30-35 mph but 45-50mph is not un herd of. Then again on some of the really big CHEAP tires you will never get a perfect balance job. Back in the early 80's the bias ply gumbo mudders where almost impossible to balance. Thank God for radials.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

I had this exact same problem when I bought a new set of steel rims. They were called (gunners) I don't remember the company. They were about a 100 bucks a piece. Anyway, I took them back and got another set and the vibration moved to the other side. They sent them back a second time and got me a completely new set and the vibration moved again. It was always within a 3 to 5 mph range. If I went slower is disappeared and if I sped up it disappeard.

It was then that I decided that you couldn't get a decent set of balanced steel wheels and I put the stock ones back on and everything worked great.

Quick Reply: Low Speed Wobble Help