Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low Speed Wobble Help

Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Speed Wobble Help

So I'm another victim of the low speed wobble and need a little advice/help. I searched the forum and found a lot of good info but just want to check to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

The problem is wheel wobbles at 40-50mph just to make sure we're clear.

What I've done/checked: re-balance of all tires by Discount Tire, had an alignment done, made sure the steering stabilizer and track-bar are tight, tire wear is good (less then 2k miles), tire pressure is good. I just put my Tera Flex 2.5 bb on and checked almost everything under the there and all looks good (i had the wobble before the lift). The only thing out of ordinary is the drag link & tie-rod rotate very easily and theres metal on metal contact but the dealer told me that nothing is wrong when I had them check it out

I'm running Cragar 352 D ring wheels and BFG mud terrains. I read here that someone had Cragars that weren't true and it gave him the same problem, but when he switched to aluminum wheels the problem went away. I thinking of buying some American Racing Baja's; will this fix my problem?

Here's a pic of my wheels

Any help on this would be much appreciated... Thanks

EDIT: I just realized in wayoflife's write up he relocated the rear sways to the front and new ones to the back; could this cause the low speed wobble? I don't really think so, it was just a thought.

Last edited by MMO blk JK; 07-02-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just throwing out some ideas to you..But did you ever take out those star washers that are attached to the lug nuts/rotors? That may be the culprit...Below are a few threads about it...One thread even mentions that wobble at the same speed you experienced yours...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=star+washers

Originally Posted by New-B
You know i'm having the same problem on the back. I just chalked it up to the painted wheels. I figured the black paint was wearing off the tapered seat for the lugs, but after learing about those star washers that hold the rotors on i'm going to pull it in the garage tommorrow and pull all those off. I wasn't aware that they could cause a seating problem with aftermarket wheels. I know my stock wheel on the passenger rear was almost impossible to take off. I kept looking to make sure i took all the lugnuts off. I bet the star washers were the culprit acting like star lock washers and holding on to the soft aluminum.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aldaman
Just throwing out some ideas to you..But did you ever take out those star washers that are attached to the lug nuts/rotors? That may be the culprit...Below are a few threads about it...One thread even mentions that wobble at the same speed you experienced yours...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=star+washers
I can attest to the star washers causing a wobble around 45-50 mph. I had my wheels put on and the installer did not remove the washers. Once I removed them and torqued my lug nuts to 95lbs, no more wobble. That would be the first thing I would check.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at that and back my after market wheels are recessed just like the OEM ones, it's almost an exact match (I'm not an expert so I could be wrong). I guess it won't heart to take another look though, and try removing the star washers.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

looked at that and back my after market wheels are recessed just like the OEM ones, it's almost an exact match (I'm not an expert so I could be wrong). I guess it won't heart to take another look though, and try removing the star washers.
Just pull them off with some needle-nose pliers. You don't need them anyways. Took mine off when I put my new wheels on.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I checked and it looks like the star washers have been removed. I didn't see anything around the wheel studs and rotor, the wheel sits flush against the rotor. does anyone have a picture of the "start washer?"
Old 07-04-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's just a little washer thing on the stud that holds the rotor on during vehicle assembly. If you pull the wheel off and there is anything on the stud that's the washer. Just use some pliers and break it off. Death wobble can be an pain to get rid of. I'd look into the drag link/tie rod looseness that you mentioned. Put the Jeep on jack stands under the axle and try to wiggle the wheels in both planes. There should be no movement at all.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, 40-50 MPH is not considered a low speed wobble. That's getting close to highway speed. Low speed "wobbles" are generally in the 15-35 MPH range and usually include problems such as a seperated tire, bent rim, a rim not installed correctly, loose lug nuts, or a combination. When you say "wheel" wobble, which wheel are you talking about? The steering wheel or one of the vehicle's rims? Some of the same things I've mentioned above can also cause the steering wheel to wobble if they are on the front. As some have mentioned, the washers to secure the rotors can be a problem with aftermarket rims. That would be the first thing I would check because it's cheapest and easiest. 9 times out of 10, if you start with the simplest or least expensive thing, you'll find it everytime.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
It's just a little washer thing on the stud that holds the rotor on during vehicle assembly. If you pull the wheel off and there is anything on the stud that's the washer. Just use some pliers and break it off. Death wobble can be an pain to get rid of. I'd look into the drag link/tie rod looseness that you mentioned. Put the Jeep on jack stands under the axle and try to wiggle the wheels in both planes. There should be no movement at all.
The "star washers" have been removed. there is definitely no washer around the wheels studs. thanks for clearing that up. I'm starting to think you're right about the looseness of drag link/tie rod causing the problem, thats the only thing out of the ordinary. I'll jack the front up and try that and look for movement.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
First off, 40-50 MPH is not considered a low speed wobble. That's getting close to highway speed. Low speed "wobbles" are generally in the 15-35 MPH range and usually include problems such as a seperated tire, bent rim, a rim not installed correctly, loose lug nuts, or a combination. When you say "wheel" wobble, which wheel are you talking about? The steering wheel or one of the vehicle's rims? Some of the same things I've mentioned above can also cause the steering wheel to wobble if they are on the front. As some have mentioned, the washers to secure the rotors can be a problem with aftermarket rims. That would be the first thing I would check because it's cheapest and easiest. 9 times out of 10, if you start with the simplest or least expensive thing, you'll find it everytime.
The only reason I say low speed it because once i get over 50 everything goes away and she rides smooth. It's literary right at 43mph she starts to shake. When I say wheel wobble I'm revering to the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Low Speed Wobble Help