Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

low speed noise and T-case problems

Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low speed noise and T-case problems

Three days after I installed my front driveshaft(1350), a ARB front diff cover, a set of Crown brake lines and a Mopar hood lock I'm getting this funny noise from the front of the JK at very low speed(6-10mph) Less than 6mph no noise. Its like a fan barely hitting something. No vibes and it is not loud. It also goes away at speeds above 10mph. I'm not sure what might be causing this, I do suspect the front driveshaft. I verified it and nothing seems to be in its way. I think I may have to grease it and see.

Something else happened today...my T-case shifter got disconnected I don't think that this is related to noise mentioned above. So far I believe that the problem is in the console since I check the T-case cables underneath and found nothing wrong I mention this in case anyone thinks that both my problems are related.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
TeraFlex Rep

I would remove the front drive shaft and see if the noise changes or goes away. When you have the drive shaft off you can also turn the front transfer case output yoke by hand and see if you can feel anything besides "smooth". I have seen a case of shift linkage misalignment/bind that influenced the shift caller/fork for the mode selector causing it to rest in an "almost engaged" position. I don't think its your transfer case from what you have said but its easier to eliminate possibilities with the front drive shaft out.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mssbbmia
I would remove the front drive shaft and see if the noise changes or goes away. When you have the drive shaft off you can also turn the front transfer case output yoke by hand and see if you can feel anything besides "smooth". I have seen a case of shift linkage misalignment/bind that influenced the shift caller/fork for the mode selector causing it to rest in an "almost engaged" position. I don't think its your transfer case from what you have said but its easier to eliminate possibilities with the front drive shaft out.
Once I get the T-case shifter reconnected and can then put the transfer case in neutral so I can turn the driveshaft and makes sures it rotates smoothly. Then I'll grease the DS and hope for the best. If noise persists then I will probably have to remove the front DS as per your recommendation.

Thanks Mssbbmia

Anyone else want to add their 2 cents???
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I have found the noise!!! It is coming from the front diff. Which makes sense since the noise did start right after installing my ARB diff cover. It is suspected that I need a thicker gasket. Oil level is fine.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Update

It turns out that my oil level wasn't fine. It was short by nearly half a pint
No more noise

Quick Reply: low speed noise and T-case problems