Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Bunyon
If you just ground the wire that's supposed to go to the parking brake it will work. I've done it dozens of times as an installer. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Are you talking about manuals or autos?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should work with either. All that wire does is ground when the parking brake is on. Its what triggers the parking brake light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Bunyon
Should work with either. All that wire does is ground when the parking brake is on. Its what triggers the parking brake light. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
So to review, there's a wire in the radio loom that goes down to the parking brake, I assume to some kind of a mechanical contact switch. Snip it and ground it. Then my daughter can watch Frozen in my automatic instead of talking my ear off about other 10 yr olds?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
So to review, there's a wire in the radio loom that goes down to the parking brake, I assume to some kind of a mechanical contact switch. Snip it and ground it. Then my daughter can watch Frozen in my automatic instead of talking my ear off about other 10 yr olds?
If it were that easy, no one would buy LockPick (or whatever it is called). The radio doesn't just look at the parking brake. It's also looking at signals from the computer that say the car is in motion. If it is, it locks out those features.

However, if this is something you really want, you can always replace your radio with something like a Kenwood that you can indeed ground a particular wire and it will play video while in motion.

Personally, I would be more inclined to just buy a portable DVD player and be done with it. You can always use the AUX input on the radio for sound.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
U would be better off with a portable DVD player that way u don't have to listen to the movie. I have a aftermarket in mine and I put a DVD in for my daughter. But watching the same movie over and over get a old after a few hours. (She is 2 ) so now she can watch her movie and I can listen to the radio. Now we r both happy.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

The other option is to install a portable screen (like the ones that go in a headrest). The Video feed in the back of the head unit is pins 6 & 7 if I remember correctly. Run it to the screen's video input and you have you video out regardless of the Jeep's motion (or lack of) and you don't need to buy a LOCPICK or mess with the wiring. There is a write-up on here that I used back in 2010.

This is what I use on all trips with my kids. The one caveat is that you have to have a head unit that plays DVDs.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Milr80
Cheap convenient solution to a JK not having any way to hang up clothing..... Just a $6 dog collar trimmed down to fit. Works great!
ingenious!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

These are from ebay, come in projected and other models/ sizes and for $30 you cant beat them, I bought the adaptors for truck lights to be used with them and will upgrade to led bulbs in a few
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2293412046.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	557376   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3042245435.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	557377   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1907183916.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	557378  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garrett J.KU
These are from ebay, come in projected and other models/ sizes and for $30 you cant beat them, I bought the adaptors for truck lights to be used with them and will upgrade to led bulbs in a few
Could you explain that a little more. Looks cool.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MojaveJK
Paint your trim, can't get the middle vents out, giving me such a hard time, next the whole dash comes out

Attachment 491513

Attachment 491514
What kind of paint did you use?

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?