Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NM_JK
I rigged up a removable holster for my Glock 17/19. It cost less than $25 and seems to be working fine. I bought a Blackhawk holster and some industrial strength Velcro from Walmart. The holster already had the loop portion of the Velcro sewn into it on the right side for putting an adjustable strap on it. I cut off the material covering the Velcro on that side and then put a piece of the latch Velcro on the side of my console. Because I got a few pieces of Velcro in my pack, I'm going to sew a thin piece into the mag pouch and put another strip on my consol just to have Velcro on every contact point (it still holds good even as I have it set up now). Here are some pics of how it turned out...
Times like this... I wish canada had differet laws but nooo, we gotta be all peaceful an what not...
Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Painted my stock radio antenna black the other day.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally took some pics. These are not impressive mods or anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepaudicable.jpg
Views:	1847
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	502356
I bought a new audio cable for the aux in on the front of my stock radio. It has one end that is "L" shaped. I wanted this so that the cable wouldnt stick out far on the front of the stereo so it wouldnt be noticed as much (so a thief wont think that there is an MP3 player hidden in my jeep somewhere). Note: you can see some dark-tinted film over the display of the radio too. I did this so that when i drive with my headlights off... the display (that gets MUCH BRIGHTER with the headlights off) doesnt take away my night vision. I also put some of the film on the instrument panel that covers the temp and automatic gear displays that also get VERY bright when the headlights are off. They are temporary at the moment. I will remove them later and trim some new ones to fit and put them inside the instrument cluster instead of on the clear plastic on the front. The film is sold to put over headlights. I bought a roll for a few bucks on aliexpress.com

Name:	overheadlight.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	502357
I took a cheap USB flexible light (for laptops) and mounted it in between my hardtop and soundbar so that I had a small light I could use that wont draw any attention. It is mounted above the driver's seat. It was still too bright so i took a rubber cap that fits over an RCA plug, cut a hole in the tip and placed it over the light's lens. It works great now.

Name:	sunglasses.JPG
Views:	1677
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	502362
I took two "S" shaped clips (I found on a golf course rest area) , clipped them to the plastic molding above the rearview mirror and use them to hold my sunglasses.

Name:	jeepintv.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	502363

Name:	tvinjeep.jpg
Views:	1965
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	502364
I put a small TV above the driver's side front window shade. I made a simple bendable metal bracket for it, put powerful madnets in the back battery compartment so that the tv magnetically sticks to the metal bracket. One of the pics show it with a black piece of cloth over it which serves two purposes... it somewhat hides the tv from view of passersby and when lifted to an upside down "U" shape it only lets the driver view the screen. I have some of that headlight tinting film on the screen as well so that the screen isnt too bright and noticeable by others.

I will add another post to show the various trays and a switch pod ...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I think JK-Forum needs to step up and do every mod in this thread, to a JK.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

continued...

Name:	trays in jeep.jpg
Views:	2076
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	502368
Misc. trays and a cheap car powerport-powered switch pod. The cupholder I bought at target and is made by rubbermaid. It has little rubber grips around it and you can REALLY wedge it in the cup holder very well. It stays in place very well.

The switch pod is a $5 one I bought off ebay. It has toggle switches in the front and car power ports in the rear so you can plug in your accessories. I have it plugged into the ACC powered power port in my jeep. Currently it is just wedged in between the passenger seat and the center console.

Name:	trayinjeep2.jpg
Views:	1897
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	502369
pic of the rectangular tray that fits under the parking brake

It is made by "bell automotive" and fits nearly perfect in the spot. Note: the parking brake rests on it almost too high. Almost too high as in to where the parking brake dash light will come on if the tray isnt pushed all the way forward.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 10-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

DIY shovel mount on stock spare tire

Was at Home Depot and Canadian Tire when it came to me. Tried looking for a large enough washer that would sit behind the the spares center cap and figured I'd step them up from the standard 3/8 washer but couldn't find an 8" carriage bolt that the threads go all the way up to the head.

Came across a 12" 1/8" thick mending plate and figured I could chop it to fit. Then I found a 12" threaded rod that would be easy enough to cut down too. So add 4 bolts, a fender washer, a wing nut, drilled a hole through the shovel shaft and the mount was born.

Revamped shovel mount:

Attachment 503061

Attachment 503069
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexer07
You can cut the seat belt off

Attachment 497811
Did this a while ago..... Best thing I ever done! Lol
Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Did this a while ago..... Best thing I ever done! Lol
it is great I've done it on my past 2 jks
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM
JK Junkie

Great shovel mount, I was thinking of something very similar, do you feel like the shovel handles strength was compromised at all?

Matthew
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any body do some somewhat cheap exhaust? I like how some guys got it dumped right after the rear end?

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?