Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rico
I think our Jeeps are cousins...lol
I'm digging your bumper. Who makes that? Or is a modified MW3/Mopar piece?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a cheap flexible USB laptop light and mounted it between the soundbar and the hardtop.

Like this one... Click image for larger version

Name:	Free-Shipping-USD-LED-Lamp-Flexible-Laptop-USB-Snake-Mini-Light-Notebook-PC-Light-Without-Retail.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	497685

I originally did this in my old TJ and just took apart a USB-to-cigarette power port adapter (stuck it in an insulated altoids tin) and wedged it in between the hardtop and the soundbar. Very half-assed, but it worked. I also had it wired to a switch on my dash.

I do NOT like the behavior of the stock interior light in my 2010 sahara. It comes on and stays on and generally acts like a pain in the ass. So I wired in a switch to it so I can control it. Basically to keep it off when I want it off.

Anyways... I use the USB flexible light because at night I only want a small light source that I can aim at the steering wheel area. Like if I need to write something down or read something. I even had to put a little rubber cap that goes on an amp's RCA plug and cut a small hole in it... and placed it over the tip of the USB flexible light because it was shining too much light.

EDIT: I also took the instrument cluster pod out and taped some foam over the obnoxious dinger speaker module that dings when you leave the door open or when you dont plug in your seatbelt. It is now muted to a more tolerable level. Now I can leave the door open with the key in the ignition and play the car stereo without hearing that obnoxious ding sound. My music is loud enough to cover up the muted dinger sound.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 09-15-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dirtymoney
I also took the instrument cluster pod out and taped some foam over the obnoxious dinger speaker module that dings when you leave the door open or when you dont plug in your seatbelt. It is now muted to a more tolerable level. Now I can leave the door open with the key in the ignition and play the car stereo without hearing that obnoxious ding sound. My music is loud enough to cover up the muted dinger sound.
this is the best news I've heard. please tell me where to find this annoying noise box!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pickick
this is the best news I've heard. please tell me where to find this annoying noise box!
It is on the back of the dash pod. You have to take off the white plastic cover (be careful not to break the tabs) and inside the pod on the circuit board is a quarter-sized round plastic thing with a hole in it. Cover up that hole. I suggest some kind of dense foam and then tape it over the hole really well so it wont come off.

note: you will have to unplug three wire harnesses that go into the back of the pod in order to take the white cover off. When i started plugging them back in... when i got one it the dash went crazy and the windshield wipers went on and wouldnt go off until I plugged the other two harness plugs in. So... be forewarned.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 09-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by midtown711
Then i used an old pair of computer speakers i had lying around. Zip tied input wire and charger wire to phone mount. Now i have a pandora or shoutcast free internet radio blasting in my garage!
Attachment 404929

Pretty fancy

Here is mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	O61C90h.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	497809

They were an old old pair that my workplace was throwing out. I snagged them figuring I could use them for something. And years later... I did.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 AM
JK Freak

It is on the back of the dash pod. You have to take off the white plastic cover.
are you referring to the gauge pod?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

You can cut the seat belt off

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1588255362.jpg
Views:	3828
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	497811
Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

EDIT: I also took the instrument cluster pod out and taped some foam over the obnoxious dinger speaker module that dings when you leave the door open or when you dont plug in your seatbelt. It is now muted to a more tolerable level. Now I can leave the door open with the key in the ignition and play the car stereo without hearing that obnoxious ding sound. My music is loud enough to cover up the muted dinger sound.
There is also this method of pulling a wire from the door wire harness connector to stop the door chime. Simple and easily reversible if you're careful. Thanks to WhosUrBuddiee for the photo in the following thread link showing that it is the purple wire:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...9/#post2806040
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

are you referring to the gauge pod?
yes. That's it.

edit: sorry about all of my posts on this page. I spent the weekend reading through this whole thread (377 pages) and made some replies to other's posts.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 09-17-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put different matts in the jeep after 2 energy drinks blew up and getting sand all over the oem ones. I nabbed these ones on sale for 25 bucks and i think there pretty cool. My parents own a jeep also and i got them oem slush matts offline for $50

After trimming and setting them in place they were perfect
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-532626453.jpg
Views:	1457
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	498218  

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?