Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tammy

Get those seat belt cushion things and instead of wearin it on shoulder push it all the way down to floor beside ur seat. No more flapping
You can also buy those seatbelt retainers that Yukon's or Tahoes have & mount them they should hold your belts back
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a cheap one, paint the tow hooks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-849747849.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	454380  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny21
Anyone have a cheap DIY mod for keeping this damn tailgating open? I smashed my hand twice today. I kicked it. Lol help! And I don't wanna shove a block or brick in the hinge
Add a gas shock to the tailgate.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FLJKU
Not an American Flag but a Chive flag. Someone on here did an American flag on another thread which gave me this idea.
Chive on brother!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FLJKU
Not an American Flag but a Chive flag. Someone on here did an American flag on another thread which gave me this idea.
KCCO! Best flag mod ever!

Can we please drop the American flag posts. As people mentioned before, this is not the forum for that debate.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wolf_425
Somewhere in this thread I think there is talk about how to stubby your own antenna. It's how I did mine and it turned out great. Especially after hitting it with some bedliner.
Thanks!! Now the only problem is I gave my son the stock antenna and now i can't find it! lol As soon as he remembers where he threw it I'm gonna stubby it!

Today I decided to find a way to put on my "No doors" Mirrors. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? I took out the screw along the windshield and screwed in my mirrors. I actually see very well, except for the passenger side. I have to pull the passenger side in and towards the back of the jeep but it works!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	454527

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	454528

After placing them I realized I had enough clearance to put the doors on and keep the mirrors on as well. I then ripped off the factory mirrors from the door with the intensions to see how they were built and try to figure out why they leak/gather water. after seeing how they are put together i decided I'm not putting them back on. But my mind was determined to solve the leaky problem without drilling. So, I stuck a feed hose into the base of the mirror and sprayed it full of expanding foam. The foam will expand and should close all possible passeges that water usually gets in and gives it no room to gather water. I have no clue if this will work and i was worried the foam would screw up the mirror. I'll only know once I wash her. I don't plan to put the mirrors back on so if they break or get messed up it will be no big deal. But i thought I'd pass the idea along...

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	454538

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	454539

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	454540

There was a lot of white stuff built up on the pegs that extend into the door. I tried to get it off with CLR but it won't come off! I sprayed just enough foam to allow it to expand without coming out of the chassis and set the mirrors aside till the morning.

I'll let ya'll know the results.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

^try the topmost bolt, you might be able to see the pass side mirror better
Old 05-05-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

They make a cap for that. I've seen it on this very thread.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

I made a paracord wheel cover, I made rock rails front bumper with stinger. Painted factory wheels with spray bed liner. I also painted the trim around bottom of doors with bed liner. This is great stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-596412324.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	454713   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2245231214.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	454714  
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as promised earlier in this thread I took some time to "Rhino Line" the beauty ring part of my wheels as they have taken considerable abuse from the rocks. I just recently rotated my spare on, which has never seen any rocks, so we have a baseline of what they looked like new. The first few shots are of the current state...

This is all the materials used in this little adventure of my wife. The red bag is 100% IPA that we used to get them clean, the Dremel was used to smooth out the rough parts where I'd torn chunks out so that we got a slightly smoother finished product. The sand paper we used to rough it all up to give the "Rhino Line" somewhere to grip.

Here's what they looked like new; the wife had already started taping it off though. Thankfully this was her project which gave me time to put the new motor in my winch and mount my fairlead.

Masking and painting shots; the first one was her first coat on the former spare

She's much better at this stuff, but I had to try... I wasn't near as good at it.

And here is the finished product. From a distance they look brand new again. Up close you can still see the chunks and rough parts but... Bah! That proves that it gets wheeled.

And yes... Those little milled out spots to simulate the bead lock sucked to mask off, I actually had to bring the wife a few while she was doing those... Usually she's bringing em to me.

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?