Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drl

Originally Posted by Tycho
This is a great idea and I like the location. I've been thinking about daytime running lights and some white LEDs there may just be the solution. Many thanks
Originally Posted by damunoz32
After throwing these on, I had the same idea for the white ones but I thought it'd be a little over-kill
Was thinking about picking up two white led strips and mounting them in the same location as daytime running lights like you said and was thinking where I would tap into for the wiring. I know you used the indicators but I wouldn't want to do that as it would blink when turning and I already have done the turning indicator fender mod so it would be overkill with three indicators. I was thinking about possibly wiring it with my fog lamps which i currently use as my DRL and have both on at the same time. Any thoughts on how this would be accomplished and if so which wire of the fog light harness I could tap into to accomplish this.

Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by murklis

Was thinking about picking up two white led strips and mounting them in the same location as daytime running lights like you said and was thinking where I would tap into for the wiring. I know you used the indicators but I wouldn't want to do that as it would blink when turning and I already have done the turning indicator fender mod so it would be overkill with three indicators. I was thinking about possibly wiring it with my fog lamps which i currently use as my DRL and have both on at the same time. Any thoughts on how this would be accomplished and if so which wire of the fog light harness I could tap into to accomplish this.

Thanks!!
If you're going to grab led strips. Check out eBay and get a roll of them for half the price then the store. These are the 300 led strips and they also have 600 led strips. The 300s are very bright. This is about 10 LEDs of a 300 strip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-730056971.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	404789   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2028040368.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	404790   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3633184563.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	404791  

Last edited by Lancejk; 01-02-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lancejk

If you're going to grab led strips. Check out eBay and get a roll of them for half the price then the store. These are the 300 led strips and they also have 600 led strips. The 300s are very bright. This is about 10 LEDs of a 300 strip.
I did this mod years ago with a green strip behind the grille. $4.95 on ebay for a 20" waterproof strip. Went years without any problems until a local cop (1 of 4) started giving me a hard time about it. I had mine wired to the parking lights, so i couldn't just switch them off when i started smelling bacon.

Michigan state law says the only colors you can legally display on the front of a vehicle is white and amber. I replaced the green with amber, and I'm not happy with it. It's just not bright enough. I think this spring i will put the green back and wire it to its own switch.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lancejk

I was looking into these but I don't have a soldering gun to attach the wires to the strip and I am only going to use 12 for each side so I would be left with a spool of led's. If I had another use for them I would definitely look into that but with all of them sitting around I'd be tempted to put more on making it look like a Christmas tree haha.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking into these but I don't have a soldering gun to attach the wires to the strip and I am only going to use 12 for each side so I would be left with a spool of led's. If I had another use for them I would definitely look into that but with all of them sitting around I'd be tempted to put more on making it look like a Christmas tree haha.
I recommend the prewired, pvc sealed units. You can get them in various lengths, usually measured in cm. I went with these because they seem more durable than the other flat 'cut to length' strips. No soldiering required, just splice em in.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Juice Box

I recommend the prewired, pvc sealed units. You can get them in various lengths, usually measured in cm. I went with these because they seem more durable than the other flat 'cut to length' strips. No soldiering required, just splice em in.
So if I wanted to splice these in with my fogs do you know which wire of the harness would I use? I just finished the turning signal fender mod so I have some wire clips left over and was wondering if this would also be that simple.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

So if I wanted to splice these in with my fogs do you know which wire of the harness would I use? I just finished the turning signal fender mod so I have some wire clips left over and was wondering if this would also be that simple.
I'm not sure, but if there are only 2 wires at each fog harness, all you have to do is splice them in. The unit i have has a positive wire and a ground wire. But you can't tell which is which until you put power to them. Make sure your leds are working before you seal the wires back up.

If you dont want to splice the wires, you can route the wire to the fusebox. Find the running light fuse and press them in with the fuse. It isnt pretty, but it works. But you wont be able to turn them off without turning all your lights off.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Juice Box

I'm not sure, but if there are only 2 wires at each fog harness, all you have to do is splice them in. The unit i have has a positive wire and a ground wire. But you can't tell which is which until you put power to them. Make sure your leds are working before you seal the wires back up.

If you dont want to splice the wires, you can route the wire to the fusebox. Find the running light fuse and press them in with the fuse. It isnt pretty, but it works. But you wont be able to turn them off without turning all your lights off.
So with those two wires if one is the signal I'm assuming the other is the ground wire, so I'd just tap into both right?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a site/link that has a list of all the mods with instructions for each
Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cowboysfan2233
Is there a site/link that has a list of all the mods with instructions for each
No but that would be cool!! We need to make an official one so that you can add stuff to and make it pictured up and stuff

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?