Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't read all 400+ posts here, but I got aggravated with the scratches on the door/kick plate.

Grabbed some bed liner spray at Lowes, taped it off, an this is what I ended up with.

Should solve the problem, I hope!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-995010714.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	372650   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3284085542.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	372651  
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

they make plastic cover things from mopar for like $35 to cover the doorsills so you don't have to bedline them, but obviously you gotta put them on before the scratches.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

My Home depot trip today has me stocked up for 4 projects next weekend.

1. PlastiDip! Going to try and do my tires and a couple other little things.
2. Grill Insert
3. Bought plastic peg board to do this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0640.jpg
Views:	1831
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	372660
Great Idea.

4. Picked up some wood to build a ramp for my big ol' St. Bernard. He has a little trouble getting in. Think I might even plasti dip parts of it for better grip and to make sure it doesn't scratch anything.

Wish me luck!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloggingMommy

2. Grill Insert
Attachment 372660
Great Idea.

4. Picked up some wood to build a ramp for my big ol' St. Bernard. He has a little trouble getting in. Think I might even plasti dip parts of it for better grip and to make sure it doesn't scratch anything.

Wish me luck!
where did you get those clamps for the shovel?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

There are three mods I did today that cost me under $70 total.
I installed and painted my own custom (door storm guard) grill and I plasti dipped the living bajeesus out of my wheels and i subdued my jeep emblem

Name:	small IMG_6410.jpg
Views:	1746
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	372702
^ it's not done yet I have some touching up to do on the rims and some final work on the emblem that will be completed tomorrow.

I didnt even use all three cans of Plasti dip. Also I didnt take pictures during the process.

subduing your emblem
materials plasti dip and tooth picks
1. get the front of your jeep off
2. tape up everything in 1 foot of your logo or cover it with news paper
3 apply a light coat of plasti dip
4 wait 15 minutes
5 repeat steps 3 and 4 at least 3 times this ensures the plasti dip comes off easily and doesn't fall apart.
6 remove you tape (more then likely it will remove most of the excess plasti dip around your logo)
7 use a tooth pick to carefully remove the plasti dip inside of the e's and p and in between some of the letters

So heres what i used and did for the grill
Materials zipties, ziptie 1x1 mounts, any gutter guard or screen door guard w.e you fancy, primer (optional), (neon) paint (optional), epoxy or some sort of industrial bonders compound, and if you dont have them tin snips or anything that can cut through a little bit of metal.*
1 cut your grill to size with tin snips
Optional step prime and paint your grill
2 take your jeeps front off if you havent already
3 take 1x1 mounts and epoxy them to your jeep front cover
4 let it dry for 4-6 hours (patience my friends)
5 preemptively place your zip ties through the mounts (dont zip 'em yet knuckle head)
6 place screen/grill over zip ties, weave your zipties through the openings of your grill
7 zip the ties tightly
8 with scissors or tin snips or anything cut off the excess zip tie
9 place the front back onto your jeep

For the tires its easier but almost more time consuming.
Materials Plasti dip, painters tap, and lots of newspaper
1. wipe down your tires with a wet rag, soap is optional but is recommended. For the love of god do not use any greasy car cleaner. 409 will do just fine.
2. tape off the part of your tires closest to your rim (in between the space of the metal and rubber, this ensure a more clean looking job)
3. wrap your tires like my Christmas presents, in newspaper
4. double check your funky looking wheels and ensure there are no spaces for the plasti dip to get on the tire.
5. place newspaper behind your tire so you dont get plastidip on your brakes or discs
6. put a light coating on so that you can still see some of the original rim
7. wait atleast 15 minutes
8. apply another light coat
9. repeat steps 7 and 8 until satisfied results are achieved. Remember with plasti dip more is better

These are the three cheap mods I did!

Also if your interested in following me as a mod my jeep check out my twitter (possibly follow me) @13Conrad
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed
Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FloggingMommy

2. Grill Insert
Attachment 372660
Great Idea.

Wish me luck!
Great Mod!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MiJKguy
where did you get those clamps for the shovel?
That pic is from someone else. I picked up some of these to go in the peg board (zip tied for security) and plan on using Velcro straps.

Name:	d10b8309-b60f-4bce-9b84-737bf53d8668_300.jpg
Views:	1892
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	372965
Search "peg board" for some write ups on where that person found those clamps. I couldn't find them.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c-rad
There are three mods I did today that cost me under $70 total.
I installed and painted my own custom (door storm guard) grill and I plasti dipped the living bajeesus out of my wheels and i subdued my jeep emblem

Attachment 372702
^ it's not done yet I have some touching up to do on the rims and some final work on the emblem that will be completed tomorrow.

I didnt even use all three cans of Plasti dip. Also I didnt take pictures during the process.

subduing your emblem
materials plasti dip and tooth picks
1. get the front of your jeep off
2. tape up everything in 1 foot of your logo or cover it with news paper
3 apply a light coat of plasti dip
4 wait 15 minutes
5 repeat steps 3 and 4 at least 3 times this ensures the plasti dip comes off easily and doesn't fall apart.
6 remove you tape (more then likely it will remove most of the excess plasti dip around your logo)
7 use a tooth pick to carefully remove the plasti dip inside of the e's and p and in between some of the letters

So heres what i used and did for the grill
Materials zipties, ziptie 1x1 mounts, any gutter guard or screen door guard w.e you fancy, primer (optional), (neon) paint (optional), epoxy or some sort of industrial bonders compound, and if you dont have them tin snips or anything that can cut through a little bit of metal.*
1 cut your grill to size with tin snips
Optional step prime and paint your grill
2 take your jeeps front off if you havent already
3 take 1x1 mounts and epoxy them to your jeep front cover
4 let it dry for 4-6 hours (patience my friends)
5 preemptively place your zip ties through the mounts (dont zip 'em yet knuckle head)
6 place screen/grill over zip ties, weave your zipties through the openings of your grill
7 zip the ties tightly
8 with scissors or tin snips or anything cut off the excess zip tie
9 place the front back onto your jeep

For the tires its easier but almost more time consuming.
Materials Plasti dip, painters tap, and lots of newspaper
1. wipe down your tires with a wet rag, soap is optional but is recommended. For the love of god do not use any greasy car cleaner. 409 will do just fine.
2. tape off the part of your tires closest to your rim (in between the space of the metal and rubber, this ensure a more clean looking job)
3. wrap your tires like my Christmas presents, in newspaper
4. double check your funky looking wheels and ensure there are no spaces for the plasti dip to get on the tire.
5. place newspaper behind your tire so you dont get plastidip on your brakes or discs
6. put a light coating on so that you can still see some of the original rim
7. wait atleast 15 minutes
8. apply another light coat
9. repeat steps 7 and 8 until satisfied results are achieved. Remember with plasti dip more is better

These are the three cheap mods I did!

Also if your interested in following me as a mod my jeep check out my twitter (possibly follow me) @13Conrad
VERY NICE!!!! I love the green grill MOD!!!!! I have heard tons of this plastic dip stuff where can I find it and what makes it soooo awesome for rims???
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepergurl67

VERY NICE!!!! I love the green grill MOD!!!!! I have heard tons of this plastic dip stuff where can I find it and what makes it soooo awesome for rims???
U can get plasti-dip from Lowe's or home depot. What makes it awesome from wheels is that all u have to do is clean it wheels really good with rubbing alcohol, set some nickels in the holes where the lug nuts go and paint away, make sure u do 3 or 4 coats so if u ever have.or want to peel it off ,it will come off easier

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?