Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Loud squeaking coming from front wheels, please help

Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeaking coming from front wheels, please help

So its seems like over the course of a few months, after every time i wash my Jeep, it makes this squeaking noise, then eventually goes away. Seems worse then ever now.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

heres a short video clip Jeep Jk loud wheel squeaking please help - YouTube
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump really need help
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Daily bump really needing help with this
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a familiar sound to me, but saying it gets worse after you wash it leads me to believe something on the brake assembly. The way it sounds, I would think you could pull the wheel off and simply see the culprit. Or at least jack it up and spin the wheel?

Additionally, you could carefully set the Jeep on 4 jack stands, put it in 4hi and "drive" the front wheels while listening.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredrok
Not a familiar sound to me, but saying it gets worse after you wash it leads me to believe something on the brake assembly. The way it sounds, I would think you could pull the wheel off and simply see the culprit. Or at least jack it up and spin the wheel?

Additionally, you could carefully set the Jeep on 4 jack stands, put it in 4hi and "drive" the front wheels while listening.
Thanks a lot for the reply.. I've thought about jacking it up and taking it off.. Problem is I'm a 16 year old and as far as I know I don't really have access to jack stands, just my high lift.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to do your own wrenching, you'll need to begin investing in some tools. Otherwise you'll be at the mercy of your local shop.

As jack stands go, they (like most tools) are an investment and are the most basic of tools. You'll pay more for shop labor than you would for most tools that could assist you in doing it yourself and still be used over and over for future jobs. IF fixing it yourself interests you, go to Harbor Freight or wherever and pickup the jack stands ( I recommend 6 ton for their Jeep friendly size).

I'm 44 and still have jack stands that I bought when I was 16 or so.

If you're low on experience, that's ok as long as you have the desire. For this particular issue, you're not likely to screw anything up but may just find your problem and if you aren't sure what to do from there, post pictures, we'll help.

You could just try jacking up that wheel and spin it by hand to see what you have. Just stay out from under the Jeep.

Good luck

P.S. I should note that if you were to put it up on all 4s, there are some serious safety considerations to think about before you would start it up and put it in gear to troubleshoot.

Last edited by fredrok; 04-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

How many miles do you have on the jeep?
Have you ever replaced the brakes?
How are your brake pads and the rotor?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4XMN
How many miles do you have on the jeep?
Have you ever replaced the brakes?
How are your brake pads and the rotor?
It's at 103000. Was my dads he gave it to me at 100k, pretty sure everything's been pretty routinely been replaced.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Josephrobby
It's at 103000. Was my dads he gave it to me at 100k, pretty sure everything's been pretty routinely been replaced.
I would pull the tire an check the pads and the rotor. Is it possible the sound is coming from a bent dust shield?

Quick Reply: Loud squeaking coming from front wheels, please help