Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

loud snapping sound in front end after lift.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True dat on the washers. That's how I repaired the pass side. Going to do drivers side soon.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

I get this sound too when braking and accelerating. I know that a lot of people have trouble with the rear track bar hitting the coils so you could check for rubbing on your rear coils. If this is the case you just need to get wedges to correct bowing in the coils. This happened to me and I also thought the sound was coming from the front left wheel well.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bwolf91
I get this sound too when braking and accelerating. I know that a lot of people have trouble with the rear track bar hitting the coils so you could check for rubbing on your rear coils. If this is the case you just need to get wedges to correct bowing in the coils. This happened to me and I also thought the sound was coming from the front left wheel well.
It is definately coning from the front.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Trauma you read my mind! Just got done with a Rancho 4" lift and have the same problem. Looked all around and found nothing yet.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MPH233
Trauma you read my mind! Just got done with a Rancho 4" lift and have the same problem. Looked all around and found nothing yet.
I am pretty sure it is something that is just loose. It only happen some times when you stop slightly harder than normal.

I feel like there is something loose that slams into one end of the opening, resulting in the noise. Then once you hit enough bumps and whatnot in the road for it to slide back to where it was, it does it again when you hit the brakes.

It only worries me because over time, if this was the issue it is acting as a hammer against the metal every time it happens. It will slowly do some damage if not a lot.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same thing. I think the coil spring on drivers side front may be hitting the frame it is real close. just a guess.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I checked the torque on my control arms and it turned out on both front lowers the axle mount sides were not torqued to 125#s. I had to tighten them quite a bit. I was hoping that I would have fixed the clank sound when jabing on the brakes but it is still there. I think it is less pronounced though. My fear is that I may have wallowed out the holes on the axle mounts by driving about 400 miles with the arms torqued the way they were. When I get time Ill take the arm off and look at the holes. I did however fix my bumpsteer by tightening up the arms lol
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Night Hawk
I have the same thing. I think the coil spring on drivers side front may be hitting the frame it is real close. just a guess.
Do you have pics? Mine really is no where near the frame
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

I want you to look at the drivers side coil spring where the sway bar is real close to it and tell me if you see any rubbing or paint missing or evidence of contact. Sway bar end contact with coil spring = loud pop or bang,,, from experience of my own
Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I just checked the drivers side coils and it looks like I have about an inch on space bewteen the coil and the sway bar. Is that not enough? What do you have?

Quick Reply: loud snapping sound in front end after lift.