Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lost evap canister last night

Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relocate the canister, the skid seems like just a crutch holding it up! The relocate puts it out of danger almost completely!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

As per my first post, I will be relocating mine. You already have part of the work done. You don't have to take it off. I see no reason to spend $80-$115 for a skid that will get hit again when for little or nothing, I can move it out of harms way and not have to think about it again.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wvhasty
Thanks. So I guess this is to prevent moisture accumulation or vapor lock.
It's more enviromental. It prevents vapors, fumes and hydrocarbons from escaping into the atmosphere.

rubi08unlmited: You asked if your hoses would be OK tucked up. Mostly, yes they will be. If you overfill your tank some gas may overflow the tank and fall to the ground. It could also splash out the tube as you're driving.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

relocating may work for some but I drive alot of old logging trails over logs and large sticks. The skid seems like the best protection because even if I move it higher, its still exposed to a good stabbing. Thanks everyone for you your opinions, I just wish I'd done something about it sooner.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
relocating may work for some but I drive alot of old logging trails over logs and large sticks. The skid seems like the best protection because even if I move it higher, its still exposed to a good stabbing. Thanks everyone for you your opinions, I just wish I'd done something about it sooner.
That would be a pretty lucky shot to "stab" the canister after it's relocated. I'd be worried about a lot of other things down there before a relocated evap canister.

BTW: Relocating the canister then lets you relocate the muffler. And relocating the muffler then lets you install the larger cubby, giving you about twice as much storage space. It's a pretty good series of mod's.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vernnz
It's more enviromental. It prevents vapors, fumes and hydrocarbons from escaping into the atmosphere.
could be the most important component on the Jeep. My skid has a custom polar bear cut out
Old 08-12-2010, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

I looked up some of those relocation write ups and its way cheaper than a skid. Then again, having the skid too and moving the muffler? I like that idea
Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
... having the skid too and moving the muffler? I like that idea
What I wrote was moving both the skid and muffler. I do think there is someone who offers a kit to relocate AND skid the muffler. Seems like overkill to me--truly, once relocated with the Woods kit, it is highly unlikely to be damaged.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Only reason I skidded as to re-locate, is the lifetime power train warranty. I'm trying to walk a fine line with mods and maintaining warranties.

Some of the relocation people I think offer guarantees that their relocation will not void the warranty and that the'll go to bat for you or even take care of the repair if the dealership says it voided the particular part and caused it to fail, etc, etc.

Me personally, I don't want to even go down that road.

In about 3 years, I'm sure things will change and we'll be looking for our next vehicle and the Heep won't have to be a daily driver.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

I got the Poison Spyder skid and love it. I also did it because I didn't want to void my lifetime powertrain warranty. I went with the Poison Spyder because it has a higher clearance than other skids. I priced it and figured I paid an extra 30 or so bucks for the extra clearance and that was worth it to me. I also was thinking of putting an aux air tank where the relocation of the evap goes anyway.

Quick Reply: Lost evap canister last night