Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lost evap canister last night

Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost evap canister last night

So I found some hoses and wires hanging down from my Jeep this morning and it looks like they lead to nothing. I crawled underneath another jeep and saw they led to what is know as an evap canister which I have read about but chose to ignore. Long story short, now I don't have one and I would never go back for it. So, it looks like I need to order another one which I will order from Wyckoff.

Now, for what I should have done in the first place... I like the Poison Spyder Customs evap skid. I went to order it and its $100 but the shipping is $30? Are there other retailers that might offer free shipping?

Also, I've got the hoses tucked up and out of the way and don't plan to off road until I get the new canister and skid. Will it be alright that way?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to do something with mine too. Now that yours is off, why not just relocate it to in front of the muffler? It's then out of the way and no skid is needed. Others have posted about it. Do a search.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Crasher
... why not just relocate it ....
X2.

http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_evap_can_relocation/index.htm

Throw in the steering stabilizer relocation and you're still saving $20 over your current choice (free shipping).
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the evap canister?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wvhasty
I know this is probably a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the evap canister?
It acts as a fancy vent for the gas tank. It contains charcoal that collects fumes from the gas tank. When the engine is running air is drawn through the evap canister into the engine so the fumes burn off as the engine runs.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
So I found some hoses and wires hanging down from my Jeep this morning and it looks like they lead to nothing. I crawled underneath another jeep and saw they led to what is know as an evap canister which I have read about but chose to ignore. Long story short, now I don't have one and I would never go back for it. So, it looks like I need to order another one which I will order from Wyckoff.

Now, for what I should have done in the first place... I like the Poison Spyder Customs evap skid. I went to order it and its $100 but the shipping is $30? Are there other retailers that might offer free shipping?

Also, I've got the hoses tucked up and out of the way and don't plan to off road until I get the new canister and skid. Will it be alright that way?
I just ordered that same skid from NorthRidge 4x4 and they have free shipping
Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

there is a thread or two on here about relocating without any kits needed. It can be done, buddy helped do mine. Save the $80 and put it towards another mod.. or gas!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vernnz
It acts as a fancy vent for the gas tank. It contains charcoal that collects fumes from the gas tank. When the engine is running air is drawn through the evap canister into the engine so the fumes burn off as the engine runs.
Thanks. So I guess this is to prevent moisture accumulation or vapor lock.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I just ordered that same skid from NorthRidge 4x4 and they have free shipping
+1 for Northridge4X4 thats where I got mine too!!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Relocate it.. Don't skid

Quick Reply: Lost evap canister last night