Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Loss of power with 35's

Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's and mpg

Its been 2 weeks from today when I put on 35's and Im a daily driver and my mpg is 18.5. I used the plashpaq tuner and I have 3.21 gear ratio. Im gonna re-gear somewhere in the future but the power loss on the 2012's isnt bad at all.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an '11 with 3.73 gears, 35's, and alot of weight (bumpers skids winch etc.). I did notice a substantial difference in power when I put the larger tires on, so I put a Volant CAI/Snorkel, Throttle body spacer, Gibson dual exhaust, and a tune. I never really try to look at my MPG because I get depressed. Most of my daily driving is city. Highway I am getting 17-18 but lets face it. Jeeps are about as areo dynamic as a brick.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirtreysif
I have an '11 with 3.73 gears, 35's, and alot of weight (bumpers skids winch etc.). I did notice a substantial difference in power when I put the larger tires on, so I put a Volant CAI/Snorkel, Throttle body spacer, Gibson dual exhaust, and a tune. I never really try to look at my MPG because I get depressed. Most of my daily driving is city. Highway I am getting 17-18 but lets face it. Jeeps are about as areo dynamic as a brick.
auto or stick??
Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
auto or stick??
Auto, I new I was going to off road alot so I went with the auto.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto, I new I was going to off road alot so I went with the auto.
But that's why I went with a manual ;-)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stagedtrip

But that's why I went with a manual ;-)
x2............
Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love riding with you guys, we usually ride for 4-6 hours and when we stop and eat, you can always tell who has an auto vs a manual by watchin them walk. lol
Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I love riding with you guys, we usually ride for 4-6 hours and when we stop and eat, you can always tell who has an auto vs a manual by watchin them walk. lol
Seen that as well but every 4x rig I've owned has been manual and a couple of my cars. My left legs disproportion to my right oddly enough balances my body as my right arm is disproportionately larger than my left arm.... O_¤
Old 06-16-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trouting
My dash is telling me 16 city driving with my newly installed 35's on the 13 JKU. I drive like my grandmother and glide to the stop lights for about a 1/4 mile at a time. My driving is flat as I am in south jersey. I didnt use a procal yet, so who knows what will happen.
My grandmother used to bracket race on a regular basis. That aside, with bigger wheels you need to look at the ratio of revolutions per mile to stock to see the percentage error. My 33s are 4% lower miles reported than the OEM 32s so having never ProCal'd mine I record gallons and miles in a spreadsheet with a column for raw output and one for corrected.

Remember, wider tires = more road drag and less MPG. Wider tires = more air resistance and less MPG at higher speeds. Wider/taller tires = more rotational inertia to overcome on acceleration and less MPG. Higher Jeep (lifted and/or tires) = more air resistance and less MPG.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, we drive BRICKS... Meaning less MPG

The computer isn't always very accurate, and I found that while I can get almost 20.5 MPG on my way to work (50 miles each way, two turns and two stop signs) at 55-60 at 65 it drops to 19 and 70 makes 17.5-18. Now that I drive to a place in town and "pool" to work I only get about 15.5 cause I get 5 lights and two stop signs and am always accelerating (positive or negative) and never 'cruising' any more.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011MMJK
40 psi rides rough but will decrease your rolling resistance a bunch, reduce heat build up and increase your MPG. Yes it might wear a little more in the center. If it rides too rough maybe you could trade your Bad Ass lifted Jeep in on your grandma's Caddy. Just messing with you all on the trading in part. But I feel the 40psi is worth the rough ride you feel the power difference and see the savings at the pump.
They will wear more in the center, and will wear faster because the whole tire isn't 'slipping' to provide acceleration or steady speed, just the smaller footprint.

Quick Reply: Loss of power with 35's