Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lose power with aftermarket exhaust?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lose power with aftermarket exhaust?

I just added a SC Flashpaq and love it.

I want to add an MBRP exhaust, but don't want to lose torque because of reduced backpressure or anything like that.

I know the exhaust will sound good, but has anybody been unhappy with performance?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

I got one and don't notice anything different. Even if I did lose torque, just the sight of the stock muffler gone made it worth it for me. The sound is great after a few thousand mis on the system.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read on the forum, just replacing the muffler shouldn't change performance too much. When the cats and headers and sensors are all replaced, it nearly eliminates back pressure which can hurt low end torque from what i understand.

If it is simply power you are after there are many things to consider to manipulate the output of the 3.8L mill.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

I'm ordering the SC Flaspaq this week. I was planning to do a CAI and exhaust first but after reading on the forum it seems folks saw the most dramatic impact from the chip. I posted a while back about a Gibson dual out exhaust and was warned off about a potential reduction in low end torque. Someone said there was a good thread about this but I never found it.

What have you heard about aftermarket exhaust and sound? I want the bump in power and don't mind a little rumble but don't want to get blasted out of the cab on the interstate.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBryantKY
I'm ordering the SC Flaspaq this week. I was planning to do a CAI and exhaust first but after reading on the forum it seems folks saw the most dramatic impact from the chip. I posted a while back about a Gibson dual out exhaust and was warned off about a potential reduction in low end torque. Someone said there was a good thread about this but I never found it.

What have you heard about aftermarket exhaust and sound? I want the bump in power and don't mind a little rumble but don't want to get blasted out of the cab on the interstate.
don't expect a huge impact from doing all three of them. i have the trio and if it is power your trying to regain i would do gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysj0GTDB1V0
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Not terribly concerned w/ power gain. Just want to know if the engine is on and not lose any power.

From reading 10000 posts, it seams CAI + SC up at altitude = ping. We're a mile high here in ABQ, NM.

I emailed w/ SC and they recommend I run the 87 tune + use higher octane gas and not use a CAI.

Agree that the biggest seat of the pants gain will be from gears. When I was inbetween 35" tires I ran some stock BFG's. Man did it have more pep. Only way to get that back is gears.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

With stock exhaust manifolds and cats the only parts that'll notice is your ears. The engine won't notice much and neither will your butt.

Quick Reply: Lose power with aftermarket exhaust?