Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Loosen control arms

Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosen control arms

Would anyone recommend loosening the stock control arms before a suspension lift? I was just wondering if it strains the control arms after installing 4" or more springs.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes you must do this. First loosen all contol arm and track bar bushings then settle the vehicle by bouncing it a few times with vehicle tires on the ground . Then tighten all bolts to spec. You must do this or the bushings will be in a bind and it will limit suspension movment
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm sure this is why the suspension rides really ruff on the street. Wonder why the installation instructions didn't say anything about loosening the control arms first. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't loosen mine when I installed my TF 2.5" Coil lift and the springs slid right in. It may be a different story with 4" lift.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Former Vendor

Absolutely loosen the control arms. No matter what you plan on doing to a vehicle's suspension whether it is lifting a Jeep or lowering a car you need to take the load off of the rubber bushings.

Sure you can do the install without loosening the arms however for the minimal amount of time it will take you to loosen and re-tighten the hardware it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by GIJK
Would anyone recommend loosening the stock control arms before a suspension lift? I was just wondering if it strains the control arms after installing 4" or more springs.
I'd say,follow the instruction that came with the kit.Most instructions say to leave everthing hand tight til vehicle is resting on ground,then torque to spec.

Last edited by familytime; 11-20-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Loosen control arms