Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for winter tire/wheel recommendation

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never MT you will be like a caw on ice. Nokian tires espetially with studs are great for icey tarmaq. 285/65/17. Gonna put on mine. Looks not as good as MT but much more safe. In our region we have very cold winter and hot summer so need to have 2 tires for different seasons. All season or M+S is not the option.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

W squared...answers below;

Three important questions:

#1. Will you be using this same set of tires during the summer months? No..winter only was the plan.

#2. Will you be using these tires off-road? Only with regards to navigating mtb trailheads and ski hill parking lots. Off road tires could go back on in the spring.

#3. What size of tire are you looking for - do you want to but bigger tires on your Jeep in order to increase offroad performance (or to increase your mall-crawling ability)? In this case I'm looking for what will perform the best in the snow but not look completely tall and narrow.

Of course...if something like the duratracks could really do it all, I'd defiantely consider. If they work year round in Colorado. I'm sure they would work for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duratracs will work great, especially if you stud them. Even non-studded Duratracs would probably be just fine year-round.

That said, they're not going to work as well as a purpose-built winter-only tire. If you're not looking for a big size, and you're not going to off-road them, that's probably what will work best for you.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default How are the stock Sahara tires?

As a fellow Clevelander who has to drive through the snow belt daily (and used to drive to Columbus for work on a regular basis), how are the stock tires on the Sahara? I'm considering replacing my limited KJ with a JK Sahara, but I have some concern about the lack of a full-time 4WD mode on the JK for driving on the roads here. Conditions range from spotty ice / snow to many inches of snow regularly, and my KJ has gotten stuck in about 24" of snow (last winter), even though it also has a part-time 4WD mode.

Would the M/T tires of the Rubicon be better for the kind of weather we get here? Sure, some times its ice, but more often it seems to be lots of snow.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Definitely go with the duratracs best tire I've ever owned for harsh conditions
Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tms4
As a fellow Clevelander who has to drive through the snow belt daily (and used to drive to Columbus for work on a regular basis), how are the stock tires on the Sahara? I'm considering replacing my limited KJ with a JK Sahara, but I have some concern about the lack of a full-time 4WD mode on the JK for driving on the roads here. Conditions range from spotty ice / snow to many inches of snow regularly, and my KJ has gotten stuck in about 24" of snow (last winter), even though it also has a part-time 4WD mode.

Would the M/T tires of the Rubicon be better for the kind of weather we get here? Sure, some times its ice, but more often it seems to be lots of snow.

Thanks,
Tim
Who told you that the JK doesn't do "real" 4WD. You put the transfer case into 4HI, and you have 4 wheel drive. It's that easy.

As far as getting stuck in 24 inches of snow...in a KJ, it probably didn't matter what sort of drivetrain you had. The clearance on your KJ was probably so low that you were simultaneously high centered and trying to plow snow with the air dam.

While I still had the stock tires on it, my JK Rubicon would bust three foot drifts without even bothering to air down. I wouldn't be too worried about getting stuck in the snow in a JK.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tms4

Thanks,
Tim
Rubi MT's are about the worst thing you can have in snow/ice, no siping. Siping is your best friend in snow/ice.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Duratracs. Best all around tire and they are already prepped for studs if you need them especially since you said they would only be winter tires. Get your aftermarket rims for your non-winter tires and use your stockers for your Duratrac winter setup.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with mudbather......Use your stock rims for the winter and if you want them black, just spray paint the rims with the bed liner stuff....that is my plan in the spring. I bought some dick cepek 17's for the summer. So I think it will work out good.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea def go with the Duratracs.....the only problem right now is trying to find them. I been looking online and can't find them anywhere and Discount tire Direct rep told me that they are on back order and will be available in about 3-4 weeks. Goodyear is making them now so they must be good tires if they are all out. I can't wait to get them!

Quick Reply: Looking for winter tire/wheel recommendation