Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for Winter Tire Suggestions...

Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I gotta get some pics on the week-end, but wanted to post my opinion of the Toyo M-55s sooner rather than later...

First off, these are the US model (made in Japan) Toyo M-55s in an LT285/75R16 size, mounted on American Racing Mojave Teflon 16x8 wheels. The tires are pined for studs - the Canadian M-55s are not. I bought a heated knife on eBay and cut 6 sipes per inner lug.

Coming out of a side road, I had to punch the gas a bit to cross the main road quickly -- the ground was wet and slushy. The M-55s cut through like there was nothing there and the tires squawked as they grabbed pavement. I also did some country roads that were caked with snow. The M-55s cleaned out really well and traction was excellent. On dry roads and highway, the M-55s also handle better than the Toyo M/Ts. Coming to a stop, you don't get the sound/feel of the lugs like the M/Ts. I also had the tires studded with #15 studs. From inside the Jeep, you can't hear 'em. A pedestrian might notice a click-click sound when coming to a stop, but you can't hear it from inside.

The _only_ drawback I can find is the highway noise. They're noisier than the Toyo M/Ts. It's kinda like the tire whine from an 18 wheeler. It's not unpleasant, and in fact, I kinda liked it after a while. It makes you feel like you're a freight train going down the highway or something. :-) Although after a while you get used to it, and don't notice it anymore.

The reasons for picking this tire were all about handling, and less about noise and price. The M-55s certainly met and exceeded my expectations. If you're looking for a tough 10-ply off-road tire for winter, I definately recommend the Toyo M-55s (the US model, not the Canadian one).
As promised, here's a pic of those Toyo M-55s siped and studded on American Racing Mojave Teflon wheels...

js.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
As promised, here's a pic of those Toyo M-55s siped and studded on American Racing Mojave Teflon wheels...

js.
they look great and they are an option that i'm now looking at for a winter tire. thanks for the info.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DirtyJeepJk
they look great and they are an option that i'm now looking at for a winter tire. thanks for the info.
If you're used to an M/T with 'side biters', the clean sidewalls of the M-55s will look a little weird at first -- kind of balloon-like. :-) Since the tire has a bit of a 'retro' look, I paired it with the AR Mojave Teflon wheels. I think the combo isn't bad at all. Here's another shot -- I was missing a center cap, so re-used a ProComp center from my summer wheels on the front driver's side. The smaller center cap looks pretty good too, but I'll switch it out later to match the others.

BTW, I found them a little soft at 32-33 PSI (shown here), so I'm up at 35 PSI now. They'll probably settle at 34 when the temp drops a little more.

js.

Quick Reply: Looking for Winter Tire Suggestions...